Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W124 Cup Holder using BMW part

12K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  redir 
#1 ·
I had looked for a long time to find a cup holder that would work in the W124 and didnt look horrible. When I first saw this cup holder in a bmw, I really liked it and didnt see why it couldnt be modified to fit in the mercedes. I also didnt want to damage any of the mercedes interior so I had to come up with a method to mount it. I used a 2 part epoxy, 3M double sided tape and some paint to come up with this.

If interested, I will post the pictures of how it was done.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I like it -- not sure if I want a permanent deal though....wonder if it could be possible to build a thin piece of metal that goes under the console and loops onto the hard carpet under that way its held in place?

#4 ·
Very slick! Have a part number for that cupholder?

I'd like to pick one up @ the BMW diller in Reno today

Thanks

#6 ·
steps to make the cup holder work

Step 1, to mask off the section of the center console where you want to mount the cup holder

Step 2, mask off some of the cup holder so your fingers dont leave residue from the epoxy that will not come off. I used latex gloves while working with the epoxy putty.

Step 3, Apply the epoxy putty to the lower back section of the cup holder and push it against the center console area where you want it to stay. This will mold the putty to the exact contour of the center console. You may have to hold the cupholder in position for a few minutes but mine stayed in position ok without holding it. The epoxy cures quickly.

Step 4, After it is fully cured, remove the cupholder with the tape, sand away excess material and paint the lower section to hide the white color of the epoxy. I used black plastikote from home depot. Has a satin finish that matches well.

Step 5, apply the 3M double sided tape ( Scotch 1 in. x 60 in. (25,4 mm x 1,52 m) Outdoor Mounting Tape-411/DC at The Home Depot ) to the epoxy section and mount to the console. I waited for the adhesive to setup overnight before putting any weight on the cupholder.

Works great.

Attachments

#14 ·
Quattro,

Checking in to see if this is still working great for you. I am thinking of doing the same for my daughter's car, but maybe stepping up the tape to 30lbs strength. Worried someone in the passenger seat will knock it of when getting in and out of the car.

Step 1, to mask off the section of the center console where you want to mount the cup holder

Step 2, mask off some of the cup holder so your fingers dont leave residue from the epoxy that will not come off. I used latex gloves while working with the epoxy putty.

Step 3, Apply the epoxy putty to the lower back section of the cup holder and push it against the center console area where you want it to stay. This will mold the putty to the exact contour of the center console. You may have to hold the cupholder in position for a few minutes but mine stayed in position ok without holding it. The epoxy cures quickly.

Step 4, After it is fully cured, remove the cupholder with the tape, sand away excess material and paint the lower section to hide the white color of the epoxy. I used black plastikote from home depot. Has a satin finish that matches well.

Step 5, apply the 3M double sided tape ( Scotch 1 in. x 60 in. (25,4 mm x 1,52 m) Outdoor Mounting Tape-411/DC at The Home Depot ) to the epoxy section and mount to the console. I waited for the adhesive to setup overnight before putting any weight on the cupholder.

Works great.

#8 ·
Cup Holder From a BMW With Similar Console Design

I bought this cupholder for my 94 E320. I had literally spent DAYS looking for the perfect CH. :nerd
I found two acceptable units. I chose this one on a desperate gamble.

It works pretty well for smaller cups, 12 oz cans, and water bottles, but it's not great Big Gulps or 24 oz and up insulated cups like those from Starbucks. It has a narrow 3-4" opening and it's only about 4 inches deep. It doesn't fit exactly to the rail on the console either, but it's very close to perfect, and it's quickly installed and removed as needed. It's certainly better than not having any cupholder, and it does get the job done. :thumbsup:

The heavy duty, thick, weighty, plastic construction is a plus. Very classy looking dull black finish. $36 with shipping IIRC. When ordering from this vendor you must plug in the exact year/model of the BMW, 1988 750iL.

These were back ordered in May, I didn't get mine till late Sept. Worth the wait as long as you don't need a holder for larger drinks. I stow it under/behind the passenger seat when the wife isn't traveling with me.

"Showing products for 1988 750iL.

Copy and paste this link for the pic.

http://www.bavauto.com//assets/product_images/interior_style/82111468722.jpg

This is a Genuine BMW cup holder, identical to the one you would get at a BMW dealer. Installation is quite simple -- it uses friction to secure itself on the rim of the center console surround. Just press into place. Cup not included.
Part Number Description Price Qty.
82 11 1 468 722
Cup Holder - Genuine BMW

$ 25.95"

#9 ·
#10 ·
This cupholder was my 2nd choice, but I thought it sat too low in the footwell, and posed several hazards if placed on the driver's side. It might work well for the passenger side, however.

BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.
I almost bought that one a while ago, but decided to get this one. Same concept. Just slide the plastic flap behind the carpet on passengers side console/footwell. Probably not as firm, but I only use mugs or cups with sealing lids. This just keeps it from rolling around.

http://www.autozone.com/interior/cup-holder-and-mugs/bell-door-mount-drink-holder/125533_0_0/

#13 · (Edited)
Played with these ones over the years:

Stroller cup holder pilfered from a jogging stroller. $20 at Toys R Us.

Free.

Late 90s cupholder pulled from a junked Cadillac DeVille. Dremelled two notches and presto whammo done. My favorite.

$2 or $3 for a few of these at my local Auto parts store. They're for the door but I broke off that tab and mounted them here. Actually still use these on the passenger side only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.