Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1995 model 124, how to replace console lights

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  PWogaman 
#1 ·
Hi all, I had a look around the site before posting.

Mine is a 95 model e280. I have lost the light behind the air vent directing switch. How on earth do I get behind the wooden panel? I have removed the radio expecting to find screws like i have in my older 89 model 124 but no luck there. I anticipated to fin a light spider behind the radio among the wiring but don't see one so assume I need to get up behind the panel somehow. Can I get some guidance please?

#3 ·
Ty Sbaert, seems like this job is getting way big! So access is via the removal of the vents above? Can you tell me if it is a single light or the fibre optic solution? Finally, do you know if there is a link for the removal of the airbag?

#4 · (Edited)
It's fairly straightforward.

1) Remove battery - terminal and wait 15 minutes.

2) Remove battery + terminal and wait 15 minutes.

3) Remove screw holding pass air bag (accessible from passenger footwell). You will need a very long handle to reach screw

4) Disconnect & remove airbag

5) Remove screws holding airvent. Bulb is then accessible. It is a sub miniature incandescent bulb. No fiber optic lighting as found on W116s, etc.

Reverse steps for assembly, and always connect negative batt terminal last.

Factory PDF document. Also see pic, it shows airbag removed and screw holding in center vent.

http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/91-680.pdf

Attachments

#8 ·
That is correct. You'll need a 10 mm socket and a long extension. Here is a picture of the access to it; although, it is not installed in this picture.

The center vent dial is connected to the center vent flap by a bolt just visible through the right side of the center vent. It takes has 4 mm allen head. NOTE: this is a picture of what happens when you don't release the bolt first - you separate the dial (oops).

The center vent also has two clips on the left side. One on the top and one on the underside.

This a side vent, but it has the same clips.

They are a pain to free up all at the same time, and I have found no one single preferred way to do it. Here is a suggestion.

#9 ·
thanks for the detail. I'll have no problem getting the vent out, done that before on my 300ce, just fixed the globe in that. On my 280e i need to get to the fan and direction switch, so to be sure, are you saying pulling the centre vent out is the way to get behind the wood grain centre console?

#10 ·
To change the dial light, yes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.