gear shifter panel repair ? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 03:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: '94 E220
gear shifter panel repair ?

i have another gear shifter panel (original one by MB), it is broken i am wondering if there is a way to fix it ?
here is some photos:
Attached Thumbnails
gear shifter panel repair ?-dsc_3670.jpg   gear shifter panel repair ?-dsc_3671.jpg   gear shifter panel repair ?-dsc_3672.jpg   gear shifter panel repair ?-dsc_3675.jpg   gear shifter panel repair ?-dsc_3674.jpg  

speed9644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
A replacement from a junkyard would be under $50 if you had to buy one on line and probably $20-25 in person. There is no way to repair one missing wood without it looking like it was repaired. Better off buying one from a junkyard and puttng your energy into refinishing it to look like new.
'93 400E
'93 500E
'77 308GTB
tuttebenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2011
Vehicle: '88 "Zender" 300CE Coupe "BRUNHILDE"
Unfortunate but true - refinishing is very expensive.
Cheap way out but losing the wood appeal is carbon fibre over it after sanding it back.
stormtigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: '92 300TE 4matic 240,000miles
Lifetime Premium Member
The actual factory finish was a two-stage catalyst process...not lacquer, not clear-coat etc. You can get it to peel off around 135 degrees F in a oven closely watched and then reapply the catalyst after the wood is prepped and cooled. That's assuming though that all the wood is intact and not ratty looking. On most of these, it's just the finish that's cracked, but JY babies can have teeth marks.

Kevin
Real1shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2007 C 230 Sport,Pewter,Black leather, 43,000 mi.;1992 400e Sedan,182,000 mi .
Hello everyone, One of my winter "projects" is re-veneering a Zebrano wood shifter surround panel. The one in my 400E in perfect, but it is burl. So this project is strictly a learning experience. I'm a pretty good woodworker so I obtained a "refinished" shifter surround that was so aggressively striped that some of the veneer was removed. I obtained some Zebrano veneer for $10.00 which would be enough to do at least two sets of console panels. I have removed the bad sections of veneer and am now researching the best adheasives to use for this application. This is important because of the temperature variation that these pieces see compared to fine furniture. I am documenting the process with photos so as soon as I have a completed project to show I will post pictures and instructions. I have been able to repair furniture veneer without any seams showing and so far the interior wood for the MB is responding to the same techniques. I will keep everyone posted on progress. Thanks,Tony V.
Tvspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: Current, 90 300CE,95 E320, 92 400E, 87 300SDL...Sold 70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvspi View Post
Hello everyone, One of my winter "projects" is re-veneering a Zebrano wood shifter surround panel. The one in my 400E in perfect, but it is burl. So this project is strictly a learning experience. I'm a pretty good woodworker so I obtained a "refinished" shifter surround that was so aggressively striped that some of the veneer was removed. I obtained some Zebrano veneer for $10.00 which would be enough to do at least two sets of console panels. I have removed the bad sections of veneer and am now researching the best adheasives to use for this application. This is important because of the temperature variation that these pieces see compared to fine furniture. I am documenting the process with photos so as soon as I have a completed project to show I will post pictures and instructions. I have been able to repair furniture veneer without any seams showing and so far the interior wood for the MB is responding to the same techniques. I will keep everyone posted on progress. Thanks,Tony V.
Sounds GREAT! I'd love to know how it comes out. A lot of past posts on this, most with questionable results.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
I have a 'practice' panel to peel off the catalyst with and then re-apply. I lack the ambition with too many other projects ahead of it. However, I used to refinish fancy wood laminated canoe panels with this stuff, so I'm well seasoned with that process. That's how I recognized these panels for what they are...I know nothing of fixing wood veneer however. Go Tony!

Kevin
bschan52 and eric.dewhirst like this.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2007 C 230 Sport,Pewter,Black leather, 43,000 mi.;1992 400e Sedan,182,000 mi .
Hello Kevin, The panel I have was "stripped"; probably with aircraft stripper. Delaminated the veneer. So I'm anxious to hear how the "baking" option works out. That way we should have a complete process for these lovely wood embellishments . Thanks again, Tony V.
Tvspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1993 400E 23100 miles "Gunter", 1999 ML320 200000 miles "Fizgig"
I used stripper on one years ago, took like five coats to get it to peel off. My issue was I never could get color to match other parts.
macdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvspi View Post
Hello Kevin, The panel I have was "stripped"; probably with aircraft stripper. Delaminated the veneer. So I'm anxious to hear how the "baking" option works out. That way we should have a complete process for these lovely wood embellishments . Thanks again, Tony V.
Hey Tony...if I run out of work this winter, I'll give it a shot. The only problem with the catalyst that I used was runoff. I kept the canoe paddles dead horizontal and taped the bottom. That way I got one surface done and the sides. Then I taped the sides and the other bottom and finished the other flat panel. Only did the paddle itself and not the stalk...used Deft for that. But that was hobby stuff....for wooden boats they use this stuff called the West System that is thicker and doesn't run as much. Someday.....

Kevin

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class