Car overheating - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
Car overheating

I've looked up this question on this site but the thing is I'm a complete newbie when it comes to stuff about cars. Anyways my 1990 Mercedes Benz 300e has had this problem for a long time now probably a little under a year. The temperature of the car will be fine until I drive for at least 15 minutes and even then it's okay but once I hit traffic or a stop thats when the temperature starts to rise; I have to turn the heater on and rev the engine while on neutral or park which helps the temperature go down a little bit. If the temperature has been hot for long enough it will throw out all the coolant and sometimes there will be a loud noise sounds like alot of pressure trying to escape and it almost sounds like it's going to blow up as it gets very loud. Here are some pictures if it helps any, and the car also has a check engine light on which may be related to the problem?
Also the arrows show that there is something missing and if it's important? the car has been doing this before these parts fell off and its been running the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Car overheating-img_0030.jpg   Car overheating-img_0032.jpg   Car overheating-img_0033.jpg   Car overheating-img_0034.jpg  

Last edited by geralriver; 07-11-2013 at 08:05 PM.
geralriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

i took the cap off the first picture but the first picture with the arrows was to show that i have seen the water leak out through there
Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 1992 300e 3.0
Dude, is that your washer fluid tank?
MichaelBenz300e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz300e View Post
Dude, is that your washer fluid tank?
yep
Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '94 E320 T, '95 E320 T,'95 E300 DIESEL, '95 E250 DIESEL
Leaking windshield washer coil. Very common.
sbaert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Leaking windshield washer coil. Very common.
thank you for that
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '94 E320 T, '95 E320 T,'95 E300 DIESEL, '95 E250 DIESEL
Be sure to replace that coil ASAP and get the o-rings where the coil goes into the tank..
sbaert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 91 560SEC 89 420SEL
These are very simple things. If you can not figure these out than you are in need of a mechanic.

2) Overflow hose

3) Breather hose

Find a mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geralriver View Post
I've looked up this question on this site but the thing is I'm a complete newbie when it comes to stuff about cars. Anyways my 1990 Mercedes Benz 300e has had this problem for a long time now probably a little under a year. The temperature of the car will be fine until I drive for at least 15 minutes and even then it's okay but once I hit traffic or a stop thats when the temperature starts to rise; I have to turn the heater on and rev the engine while on neutral or park which helps the temperature go down a little bit. If the temperature has been hot for long enough it will throw out all the coolant and sometimes there will be a loud noise sounds like alot of pressure trying to escape and it almost sounds like it's going to blow up as it gets very loud. Here are some pictures if it helps any, and the car also has a check engine light on which may be related to the problem?
Also the arrows show that there is something missing and if it's important? the car has been doing this before these parts fell off and its been running the same.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 94 E320
O.K. - to get back to your overheating issue. Is your electric fan working? As far as the windshield washer fluid issue, most time people just by-pass the coil that goes to the windsheild washer fluid when it goes bad. I believe the problem with the coil in the washer fluid is more of a result of overheating and not the reason, but I could be wrong. The by-pass should eliminate that concern for you to let you look for what could be causing the over-heating. Also, is the thermostat O.K.? They are easy to check - remove it and but in a pot of boiling water and it should open fully. Last item I can think of is the viscous mechanical fan, however if that isn't working right, you should still have enough cooling with the electric fan (unless you are running A/C in a very hot climate). I know on my M104 if I pull the two wire connector on the thermostat housing my electric fans (M104 has 2) turn-on, but I'm not sure that true for your model. There is also a couple of relays that control the fans that have fuses that may be suspect if your fan isn't working. Good Luck!
roycehof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: '89 420SEL, '93 300E and '07 Hyu Santa Fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzitch View Post
These are very simple things. If you can not figure these out than you are in need of a mechanic.

Find a mechanic.
Don't.
You are here to learn and it's great resouce site.

As long as you are willing to learn, you will learn anything. Don't be discouraged by naysayers.....

I and many people like me are regular visitors here who never in their life touched wrench and Now doing lot of regular and advance maintenance themselves.
'08 kawi 250R, Red (8K..)
urtruelove78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class