BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2012
Vehicle: 1995 E300 with 225k miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Windshield wiper is acting up

The windshield wiper on my 95 E300 takes off very slowly and sometimes stops on the windshield halfway if it is dry. When it is raining it takes off slow but eventually builds up to where it is going back and forth at about half as fast as it should be.

Is the motor worn out in it, does it need to be lubricated somehow, or both? I'd like to get this squared away before spring for the obvious reasons!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jan 2013
Hello everyone. I just became a member of Benzworld Forum today. I have a 2001 E280 Mercedes-Benz. Sometime ago, I noticed that oil and coolant were mixing inside the container for the coolant. The vehicle was also losing coolant on a regular basis. I subsequently changed the oil cooler, flushed the system, etc. and noticed that the problem was solved. However, recently, I noticed that the problem has shifted to the engine. The coolant is now mixing with the oil leaving a "muddy" substance inside the engine, based on inspection of the engine oil cap. However, when I removed the engine oil dip stick, I didn't see any signs of this mixture. In addition, the car doesn't start as fluently as it used to, and sounds noisy when started. Is this sign of a blown head gasket. Can products like Blue Devil or K-Seal help?

Last edited by Robby74; 01-08-2013 at 04:20 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
Robby, no idea. You are on the wrong forum. This is for W124 MBZ, last built year 1995.

OP, if you are lucky, might just need lubrication. Do a search on the removal and lubrication.

SAM

#4 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 300TE$
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Look what I found!

202Tech - Hesitating Wiper Fix

It's a straight forward DIY. Good luck.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '91 C124 300CE, '06 W164 ML500, '00 BMW MCOUPE, '65 COBRA REPL.
Donf, great find BUT that is for a W202. Cover does not pop off like that on the W124.
The assembly needs to come off and the cover is held in place with 3 screws that are located on the bottom part. Other wise, the internal mechanism is about the same.
Do not try to pull or pry the cover off a W124. It will not come off!!!

SAM

#6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: '92 300TE 4matic 240,000miles
Lifetime Premium Member
Our wipers are a real 'treat' to take apart & reassemble.

First off, buy some Gleitpaste for the internals. Remove the assembly and mark everything inside with a Sharpie that could possibly help you with realignment on reassembly. Work the unit in your hand to familiarize yourself with how everything fits and functions. Then take apart and get all that old paste out of there on the two gears---probably more like glue than grease. One is a round gear(small) and the other half-circle gear(large). Both are hard to source out, so it's important that you eval the damage, if any. Use plenty of Gleitpaste on reassembly with the two gears and anything else that has a bearing surface.

No matter how well you've marked everything, it's still somewhat of an educated guess to the exact re-fitment of the arc/stroke. It may take you a couple of tries to get it...I got lucky with one, but I was duly warned.

Kevin
#7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 300TE$
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sorry wrong link. This is the one I was thinking of;

00 Miscellaneous Reference Articles No.17

Unless you are unnecessarily removing the actual links inside the head there is no need to mark anything for refit. It was not guesswork at the factory and it's not now. The marks are already there for realigning, one on each side for left or RHD.

See here;

http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...is/82-0760.pdf
#8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 1988 300E Factory 5 - Speed, 1990 300SEL, 1999 ML320, 2005 ML350, 1963 Corvette Roadster
Hi Ibo,
I just did the Windshield Wiper R&R on my 1988 300E. I would think it is the same wiper assembly. I wish I had taken some pics to help you out. Good advice from the other members. The “Gleitpaste” mentioned by Real1 is probably the best lube, but I just used a high quality synthetic grease and it worked fine. The advice on marking everything is important. I did not, and my wiper timing was all screwed up on reassembly. I had to take it all apart and figure it out from scratch.
In my mind, there are two unique mechanisms to the assembly; the transmission that connects the electric motor to the head unit, and the head unit itself with the articulating arm. You want to make sure that the whole assembly is in the “Park” position when you remove it from the car and begin disassembly. Note the position of the transmission arm (it has like a cam device) in the parked position. **Also note that in the park position the articulating arm is all the way in (not extended). It is necessary to remove the large nut that connects the transmission to the head unit to begin dismantling the head unit. You should be able to remove this nut without disturbing the position of the transmission; I did. It is a press fit so you will have to apply some force to separate the arm once the nut is off. Once that large nut and arm is removed from the head unit shaft you can remove a few washers and then a snap ring. Keep track of the washer positions on the shaft, there will be washers in different layers of the shaft above and below components. Not a big deal, just keep track of them. Once the snap ring is removed the shaft is free and you can separate the head unit case with this trick. In order to separate the head unit you need to rotate the articulating head (just as if the wiper were running) to what would be the center of its arc. There is a breach in the lower case at that location that will allow the case to be separated. It took me a while to figure this out, and frankly, where I screwed up. **I did not pay attention to the fact the in the park position the articulating arm has to be all the way in and as I had to move the head to separate the case, I lost track of it. Anyway, with the case separated you will see the gears responsible for the arc of the wiper across the windshield and the lack of grease. You will also now see all the screws responsible for keeping the articulating arm case together and you can now disassemble that assembly. Clean thoroughly, grease, reassemble and install. **The guys that designed these cars are pretty logical cats and I found that if I loaded the articulating head assembly in the arc assembly part of the head unit with the articulating arm all the way in (not extended) it ended up all the way in (as it needs to be) in the park position. The only other thing you need to be aware of is where you want the wiper to be on the windshield in the park position. I just eyeballed it and it worked out perfect. I hope I haven’t scared you off the job with my long winded explanation of the procedure. It really isn’t that hard or complicated once you get into it.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: '92 300TE 4matic 240,000miles
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donf View Post
Sorry wrong link. This is the one I was thinking of;

00 Miscellaneous Reference Articles No.17

Unless you are unnecessarily removing the actual links inside the head there is no need to mark anything for refit. It was not guesswork at the factory and it's not now. The marks are already there for realigning, one on each side for left or RHD.

See here;

http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB%20...is/82-0760.pdf
Wrong...unless you have done this yourself and have pics to back up your faux claims, it's key to mark everything for re-alignment. And you're not going to get all the old grease out, everything inspected properly and re-greased unless you do just that-take it apart.

Kevin
#10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '94 E320 T, '95 E320 T,'95 E300 DIESEL, '95 E250 DIESEL
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I highly recommend Mobil 375NC for the wiper transmission, window regulators and other exposed gear elements.

Mobiltac 375 NC, 325 NC and 275 NC

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class