Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

work to own, 1991 300SL 3.2L manual?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  300E_And_A_Taco 
#1 ·
this car is a florida title, "Certificate of Destruction"
all parts are legal to use, the chassis is not tho.
will the electrics, gearbox, linkages, and all the other whatnot swap over to my 89 300E?

#2 ·
Do a search on M103 to M104 conversion see what issues people have had.

Anything can be made to fit. and you have all the electrics etc.

I have no experience with this but things that come to mind are :

- the wiring might be unuseable due to size differences between the two cars (i.e not long enough wiring to cabin computers etc)

- probably need a different tail shaft due to length difference in vehicles and going manual transmission.

- instrumentation will be needed the 300SL cluster probably wont fit the 300E (tacho, speedo will be wrong in the 300E after the change)

- engine/transmission mounts quite possibly different between an SL and an E.

Good Luck and try to photo/document the process because I am sure there are lots of people interested !

#3 ·
It would take a bunch of work, but is doable. That SL has a M104.98 motor. The motor was only available in 90-92 300SL's and 300CE's in North America. One critical and specific part of the electrical system is the EZL. Nothing from any other model will work. All of the other electrical components will be needed as well as the CC amp, brake/clutch switches. Instrument cluster and differential. Get the big brakes off all 4 corners as well.

Take a deep breath and go for it. The 300E would be pretty stealthy.

Jayare

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#4 ·
I figured there would be wiring issues but I'm sure I could figure something out writh my silver solder and patience. All the parts are avaliable, including the cluster. If the tach is ran from the transmission signal and the speedo is ran from the wheel speed, I'd only need to adapt the tach? What about feeding the relocated battery? Use the 300E wiring for that only? Of course I'd cut that portion out, or should I relocate the battery and place the computer components under the battery's existing spot?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#10 ·
M119 baby !

#11 ·
How bout not? I'm not going for the performance aspect, I'm hong for cheaper gas, reliability, and longevity. If you wsnt to give me an m119 with a manual gearbox, fitted driveshaft (balanced), billet differential box, quife rear end, steel I beams to strengthen the frame and diff housing, and all the components to do that said swap... I'll get to it. I'm working 50 hours a week at 10 an hour, m104 from a local junker is doable.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using AutoGuide.Com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.