Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

20 of the greatest cars

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Ivanerrol 
#1 ·
I like this write up,Mercedes-Benz 300E - Twenty Greatest Cars - Automobile Magazine Automobile Magazine's first Four Seasons test was completed in the first anniversary issue (April 1987). The car tested was a Mercedes-Benz 300E-and we loved it, despite some troubles. In the mid-'70s, I received a call from the then-editor of Car and Driver. He wanted to discuss the future of car magazines in an era when cars would clearly never be fun again. The '70s and early '80s had not been good years for car enthusiasts. The 300E was the first evidence that there was light at the end of the tunnel, and that it wasn't an onrushing locomotive. It turned out that all of the lessons learned in the search for improved fuel economy-low drag, low rolling resistance, taller final-drive ratios, and more efficient engines-could be used to create enjoyably fast cars, too. The 300E was exactly such a car, and in the years that followed, it became the prototype for all kinds of fast, competent sedans from all corners of the automotive universe. The car had a hard edge to it, and it was sheer joy to hammer one down an empty mountain road. The car's performance capability ultimately led to V-8-powered variants, but the 300E was the one that has always stuck in our collective memory. Seeing honest burghers at the wheel of used 300Es today, we often wonder if they have even the slightest idea how much joy is stored within their vehicles' worn, faded, and sometimes dented exteriors.

Read more: Mercedes-Benz 300E - Twenty Greatest Cars - Automobile Magazine

See less See more
#4 ·
Good post LG!

"...improved fuel economy-low drag...."

Though I'm still wondering about that bit. :(
All very simple - here is a pictorial explanation ! :D

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mercedes-benz r107 and c107 Mercedes-benz

#10 ·
Red one was at the cleaners !:gay:

That's not a W124
No -but it demonstrates Mercedes approach to fuel economy (crawling along almost at idle) and drag....... :shit not:

#13 ·
When researching how ro determine the settings so I can rip the little P***k of a thing out and fix the dancing fuel gauge I found it on a website describing pots !

#12 ·
Dam you Dieter ,traitor!
Chrysler, owned at the time by Germany's Daimler and run by Dieter Zetsche, was able to use a modified version of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class sedan platform for the first of the current generation 300s, such as this 2005 model. More:

2011 Chrysler 300: Big car, big expectations

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.