Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Q. M119 Cam oilers

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Sam Fuller 
#1 ·
On the 400E I'm in the process of doing the cam oilers and I have a question. Do I have to replace them all or just the one that's broken? Q.2 the ones that seem OK can I just replace the O rings? at $13.00 a piece I'm going broke:mad: Right now I have the valve cover off and most just seem loose like the O rings are bad none appear to be out rite "broken" and some appear to have been replaced already.

#2 ·
IIRC, the o-rings are not available separately at least not from MB.

So that leaves you with either replacement with plastic tubes or the metal ones as offered through autohausaz.com

The metal ones are the ones to get if you plan on doing this job once, and you should do all of them while you're in there along with the chain guide and a new valve cover.

The $ factor is a standard feature with V8 ownership.

#4 ·
and yes you can just replace the o-rings.... I have to find the link on my other computer and will let you know asap... that's what I did, pulled all of them out carefully, removed old o-rings, reinforced end-caps with epoxy, let cure, lightly sanded for uniformity, reinstall with new o-rings.... try to have the web adress for you asap.... I want to say it was PeachParts but not sure right now...

#8 ·
Just thinking about this some more, whenever you go to change the o-rings, the old ones will probably break as they have lost most of their elasticity and are slightly brittle, I just used a small pick to get them off.. Whenever I put on the new ones, as mine were plastic, I decided to modify them slightly. I soaked all in acetone to remove oil etc for a short time and then dried them.. Then on the cap end I took a hand sander and roughed up the surface and applied epoxy, this isnt easy, but felt it was worth the effort. I was essentially trying to create an extra layer of bond over the cap and housing- effectively joining them on the outer surface as well. After epoxy was applied as evenly as possible, I took an egg crate and turned it upside down, cut an X through each raised area, which then allowed me to stick the oil guide in it to hold the epoxy end raised in the air to dry overnight. The next day I took the sander and flattened and smoothed out the hardened epoxy by removing any points sticking up etc.. So, hope my oil guides with this modification will resist the breaking of the regular plastic POP guides.. Oh, and I looked for an epoxy with good ratings on usage for plastics as well as temperature etc.. Hope this helps and anyone else feel free to correct or comment on any idea presented here that might be dangerous or otherwise uneducated, this was just my "fix", as I could not find or afford the anodized aluminum guides at the time..
thanks, Austin

#9 ·
Forgot to type out the last steps..
Whenever you go to replace the o-rings, I used a little bit of white lithium grease and rolled the o-rings around between my fingers to coat them lightly, this seemed to assist in rolling them back onto the guide ends, and also lubricated them just enough to ease inserting them back into the head, they will be a much more snug fit with new rings..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.