Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Scored a 92 400E

6K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  Bimmerman4ever 
#1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 92 400e 156500 miles at the auction today. Always wanted one. What could be better than a 124 with a V8? I hope I don't regret it looks good and runs...but I hope there is no "hidden" problems. I'm scared :(. My 300ce has enough problems. Maybe I'll flip it for parts to one of you guys for cheap if its no good. I can't spend a lot of money on it if it requires repair. P.S. I don't like these rims at all.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Trunk has been repainted, which might be indicative of a rear end crash.

How do the wiring harnesses inside the engine bay look???

What made you do this considering all the time & money you've been putting into the CE..

#3 ·
How can you tell from this photo in the rain that the trunk was a respray? I don't know about the harness. I thought that shit started in 93? oops:mad:. I bought it with a inspection guarantee that it run fine and if it doesn't I can get my money back. I can't always make it to all auctions so I threw the dice on this one....I hope I didn't get snake eyes.

#6 ·
Congratulations on the 400E.. They are so much fun to drive....
I have one too it just got hit by some truck not so long ago.. Small damage & its a write off. It will be a parts car too unfortunately...

#8 ·
Well if it's start counting backwards in Martian then it's the Illudium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator countdown screen.
How the heck can well tell Sam if you don't post no pictures of what it says when ya turn it on !!!!

#19 ·
I paid $731.00+$150.00 fee+$100.00 inspection = $981.00 total. A car dealer never tells how much he pays...oppps But the bad part is I totally threw the dice. it is suppose to run nothing mentioned about the trans or the engine except the CEL..............but the wood looks OK (little faded) . The stereo doesn't work.

Attachments

#20 ·
Being in Cali, wouldn't the car have had to pass a smog check due to ownership transfer???

If so, how is that possible with a illuminated Check Engine light??? Maybe different rules at a auction???

A illuminated Check Engine is a instant visual fail.

#21 ·
If a CEL is on Fail period. Although you can't hook the obd 2 to the smog machine so if the bulb was "burned out" I could still pass smog by visual and sniffer (only on older cars pre 98? I think) And yes all California dealers are responsible for somg checks before car can be sold. But a dealer can sell a car at a action od to another dealer "AS-IS"

#23 ·
Will be very interesting to find out overall condition of the car.

For that price, hard to lose unless it needs EVERYTHING.

You have to understand that it is also a little alarming for those of us who own or are trying to sell a similar car.

I have dumped more than $5K into my 400e in as many years, and it has only reached $3k on Ebay, with just one hour to go.

SO if it turns out that your find has a new harness, rebuilt tranny and runs perfectly, well....we'll be happy for you.

#25 ·
Don't be alarmed. Buying a car at auction is the cheapest - and riskiest - way of getting a vehicle. On the food chain it's at the bottom. Retail (most expensive) at the top and private party in the middle.

eBay probably isn't the best venue to get the most cash for it.

You have to understand that it is also a little alarming for those of us who own or are trying to sell a similar car.

#24 ·
Everytime I step on the pedal, I remember that you gotta pay to play in these cars. I have owned my 92 400E for almost one year now and it has just passed 272,000 miles. I drive it every day and it hasen't let me down yet. I've almost got it running well. It was horrible when I got it. Tuned it up, rebuilt my wiring harness, and swapped a few parts from the junkyard. Just got a new grille insert and headlight doors so I will post some pics soon. Congratulations on your purchase, I am sure that you will love it on the freeway!

#28 ·
After driving it a little more the better condition I think its in. The fuse was burned out for the stereo.....now I need the code. I'll call Mercedes for the code. Chabanais the car is way more good than bad The interior stuff look nasty but is easily fixed. Like I said the seats are beautiful and they WORK..

#29 ·
I love my 400E.

Things like the headliner, paint, wheels, etc... those things will bring the selling price down. Or you could always restore and drive. I installed a new headliner and put the 8 hole wheels back on and a few other things and have really been enjoying my rig.

Post some pics when it's dry out!

#30 ·
I AM GOING TO FIND 8 HOLES MARK MY WORDS! It needs new tires soon anyway. I'll do the head liner/"B" pillars eventually. But for now the CEL is out. The intake air sensor unplugged. Q. where would I get intake tubes they are bad and look like shit! The first thing I need to take care of is the valve tic on pass side and I need some expert opinions on wast to do with that:bowdown:

#31 · (Edited)
#32 ·
The ticking noise might be caused by cracked oiler tubes going to the lifters.

Either replace with MB plastic pieces or at higher cost replace with aftermarket aluminum oiler tubes and a chain guard. Both types are available at autohausaz.com here
Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

See link
PeachPartsWiki: Replacing Cam Oil Line Fittings (Oil Guides)
So it tics cause its no getting oil due to broken plastic oilier brace? When you replace that it get oil and it goes away? is it really that simple?

#34 ·
Update

So I went to the pick yard and got some w210 Wheels 16s. The look like lowesguy's Dieter wheels. Then I got falkin tires. The cheap tire are expensive :eek: $517.00 holy crap! But the car looks sooo much better. Now I need to deal with the valve tic. But she really needed tires first as the cords were showing and they wobbled at speed.

#41 ·
So I went to the pick yard and got some w210 Wheels 16s. The look like lowesguy's Dieter wheels. Then I got falkin tires. The cheap tire are expensive :eek: $517.00 holy crap! But the car looks sooo much better. Now I need to deal with the valve tic. But she really needed tires first as the cords were showing and they wobbled at speed.
Like these? get the center caps ,they really set them off nicely

Attachments

#35 ·
Engine harness and cam oilers

I do have a upgraded 92 400e engine wiring harness and a set of cam oilers in the parts forum.

Your 92 should have aluminum oilers, I think you can open oil cap and shine flashlight in to confirm.

It wouldn't hurt to pull off vc's and replace the top timing guides anyhow.

PM me for parts.

#37 ·
Easiest way to get rid of varnish up&around lifters is to drain the oil and refill with straight-up (non synthetic) ATF. Idle the engine for up to 30 minutes, but do NOT drive with only ATF in the engine.

After 30 minutes or less, drain the ATF and replace oil & filter.

#42 ·
I guess i have a fascination for this method, but my gut tells me it's a bit risky. Maybe the risk is minimal because you're just at idle. Even revving would be potentially bad. You could get the same results most likely with Resoline(it's worked for me many times in the past)...one qt in your oil for 500 miles, then change out. I am intrigued though by your suggestion.....:eek:

Kevin

#45 · (Edited)
Only the first 2 listings look appealing, but then it's so typical European with that cheapo cloth stuff. That stuff belongs in a Toyota Camry LE, not a V8 powered MB. Who knows what other "options" the first buyer decided to pass on.

The 3rd listing must by a owner on crack. 18K Euro for a car with 275K miles that's been converted to run on LPG. WTF is he smoking???

But it's a good comparison though showing that the V8s was preferred by us Yanks. Seven listings across a few countries. I can probably round up 7 400E/E420s for sale just in the county I live in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.