BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Nov 2012
Location: Idaho, USA
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'92 300E as first car?
Hi all -
I'm 17 and looking at buying a 300E. I have some questions before I start really looking.
1) What fuel efficiency can I expect? I have a fairly moderate driving style. Most of my driving is done at either 35mph or 0mph.
2) Is it safe to run 87 octane gas on these? 89 and 91 are also sold here (Idaho) but expensive.
3) How much maintenance is required for a 3.0 300E? Is it any beyond what a 'normal' car would have? I can attempt to do basic maintenance myself, such as oil changes, spark plugs, that sort of thing.
4) What commonly breaks on these cars? The ones I can find for sale in my area mostly have dead power windows and torn seats. How difficult is it to fix the power windows?
5) Euro headlights. How much will a swap cost, and how difficult is it to do? I'm fairly confident in my skills in this area, but I also don't want to royally screw up.
6) What should I look for in ones I'm thinking of buying? I'm talking both common problems, signs of abuse, and desirable features.
7) What advice do you have for a first time W124 buyer/owner?
I'm trying to find out mainly if I can afford to keep up with what this car needs and deserves, and if I can make it work I'll go for it.
P.S. Is 200,000 miles too much on these cars? I know they go a long ways, but I'm not sure if I'm hearing amazing stories or just typical mileage.