Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

95 E320 Cabriolet for Sale...

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sbaert 
#1 ·
Hi fellas,

Just saw this on local forum from a dealer here:
1995 E320 soft top, 124 000 kms (77,050 miles) on the clock.

He got an offer last week for R160,000. ($18,500.00)

Going to see it tomorrow.

Anything in particular I should check for? Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a sportline cabbie in a great color combo.

Be prepared to overhaul the steering and suspension if you do end up buying it.

Note that the suspension has sportline unique items such as the A arms, subframe mounts, etc.

#3 ·
- Wiring harness - make sure the original eco-junk wiring harness has been replaced. Check for deteriorating insulation near the various engine connectors/sensors.

- Head gasket - check for oil leaks around the head/block interface. Also check for oil/water where it doesn't belong in the coolant and the sump oil.

- A/C evaporator - does the A/C work and not leak?

I think these are probably the three most common, expensive, repairs needed on this car.

For the price they are asking (by U.S. standards, at least), the car should have none of the above problems.

#4 ·
With that mileage I would be willing to bet that none of the major items have been done yet, maybe the harness. If its anything like my cabrio you wont have to worry about the suspension for a while unless its all dry rotted.

I am not sold on the virtues of spending more on a low mileage car that has had none of the issues taken care of vs. a higher mileage one thats had everything replaced that WILL fail. Get a ppi and make sure the big ticket items are good to go

#5 ·
so went to check the car out this afternoon...

First things first, I thought I misread the add when it said 125,000 MILES. However, the speedometer is miles (also notice the last pic) so thats actually about 201,000 kms... I already have 1 200k Benzo. Not sure I want another just yet...

Other than that it drove like a dream and everything was functional form the radio, A/C, roof, all the bells & whistles...

Only concerned that the seats are a bit more worn than I thought. But by the immaculate condition of the body and redone roof it might be worth a reupholster in future?

The owner that he's selling for still had the service books so have to wait a few more days to get all the info about whats been done/replaced.

Sorry for the bad pics. Was rushing to go testdrive! Excuse the dust. He had the top down today.

Did a VIN Check as well - WDB1240662C039504

038 POWER SUPPLY RCL CONTROL UNIT FOR IMMOBILIZER

211 AUTOMATIC LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL (ASD)

221 LEFT FRONT SEAT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE

222 RIGHT FRONT SEAT, ELECTRICALLY ADJUSTABLE

240 OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE INDICATOR

281 AMG PERFORMANCE STEERING WHEEL

291 AIRBAG FOR FRONT PASSENGER

341 ADDITIONAL BLINKER LAMPS

425 5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

440 TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)

461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND

524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION

551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM

570 FOLDING ARMREST, FRONT

580 AIR CONDITIONING

600 HEADLAMPS - CLEANING EQUIPMENT

613 LAMP UNIT - ASSYMETRICAL, LH TRAFFIC

620 AIR POLLUTION CONTROL

652 8-HOLE LIGHT ALLOY RIMS

668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK

744 DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010

873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS

Attachments

#6 ·
Did a VIN Check as well - WDB1240662C039504

. . . . .

291 AIRBAG FOR FRONT PASSENGER
Something is not right here. The first set of pictures you posted appear to show a passenger glove compartment & latch (e.g., no airbag). Are you sure the VIN is correct? Was the dashboard/instrument panel replaced at some point? Was the airbag removed?

#10 · (Edited)
Advise to dealer/seller: A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

In America that rougly translates to: money talks and BS walks.

Also there is something with the VIN decoder that was used or the wrong vin# was decoded since ASD (option 211) is only available on diesel engines. The heated seat switches (option 873) do not appear to be there.

Caveat emptor a.k.a. buyer beware. I smell a stinky rat behind this story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.