Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hurricane Sandy - Stay Safe

2K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  RBYCC 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,
To those of you in the path of this thing - please stay safe and don't take unnnecessary risks.

Our best wishes and thoughts go out to you and your families. :thumbsup:

Stormtigers
Greenvale, Australia

#4 ·
It's scary from over here - can't imagine what it must be like in NY !!! :eek:

#5 ·
She's supposed to hit land in NJ at around midnight.

As mentioned on another thread- my wagon is in garage with supplies. This is my storm planning strategy for as long as we own 124s.

If you don't hear from me, please send help...and have them dig up the garage first. :)

As of right now, a little wind and a lotta stress.

#8 ·
Where did you leave my white Cab mate ???
Keep your head down buddy !!!:thumbsup:

#7 ·
Pix from my back yard...strongest part still to come..
More flooding then Hurricane Irene, fortunately no loss of power yet..
Still high and dry as the water creeps up slowly...
By Wednesday the sun will be shining and the ground very muddy !!!

The price to pay to live on the water ?

#9 ·
Where the Coupe ?
I hope you got it into the 2nd story bedroom RBYCC !!!! :D
Fingers crossed for you buddy !

#10 ·
My son lives in NYC...he said they are "only" in Evacuation Plan A...which means folks who live close to the water. He got off from work and he thinks his bosses are being nice...really? Anyway, I told him to leave the city for a few days, but he's hard-headed like his dad and we tend to cancel each other out.:(

I wish everyone the best in the path of Sandy...be smart about what you do in the next few days! I like the idea of the MB wagon full of provisions ready to roll...just don't wait until it's too late.:thumbsup:

Kevin

#12 · (Edited)
You can lead a horse to water Kevin but.... oh no that's probably not a good saying this time around is it.... the water's coming to the horse !
Maybe we are all being a bit over anxious from afar but the water levels are already high as heck and the damn storm is still 12 hours away.
I would be making for the nearest refuge out of harms way !

As I said elsewhere, property can be replaced, lives can't !

#14 ·
Uh Oh - Obviously isn't a W124 !!!

Hey Kevin
If he really doubts how strong this is tell him to have a look at downtown Manhattan - at the high rise crane dangling above the streets.
The boom basically broke in half and is just hanging there !

#15 ·
I just saw NYC in the news and its so eerily empty!

I could almost imagine 0.26 in this video...a F1 car shrieking through the empty streets with the high pitched wail echoing through the buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_kwxzU4wL4

Hopefully everything goes fine. Everyone check in after a couple of hours.

#17 · (Edited)
Don't think they got power Bob - saw power station drop it's load live on TV a while back (29 second mark on this youtube)

#19 · (Edited)
#20 · (Edited)
Mid-Hudson Area of NY

We're about 60 miles north of NY City on the Hudson River.

My Benz are all safe and sound, (sitting in a garage at 490 ft above sea level).

But our 32 ft Silverton Flybridge cruiser though was just pulled from the water last Saturday in preparation for the storm.

All in all about 75 boats are up on blocks in the parking lot area of our yacht club. The parking lot is about 3 feet above high tide, (yes we get tides 60 miles up the river from the Atlantic). The avg. water level here isn't much more than NY Harbor, (sea level), so we get affected almost as bad as NY City with extreme tides even though we're 60 miles away.

Well long story short there is at least 5 feet of water in that parking lot, all boats have been floated off their blocking and have either floated away or sank in place with the drains open.

Sadly my Silverton is among these boats, I just returned from the yacht club, nothing anyone can do until it gets light out and the water recedes, and we're expecting another extreme high tide later this morning...

Time to call the insurance company I guess...:(

PS: the only thing more expensive than a Mercedes is a boat

#21 · (Edited)
I hope that the folks in Sandy's path recover quickly

Atlantic City New jersey has been hit with several storms over the last 50 years, but I would not ask the good people of that town why they have not moved. My 220 year old town of Laplace Louisiana had never flooded from a storm and I was reticuled for living there.

I will donate money to the Sandy relief effort, I ask that those that can do the same. it is what we do... not joke and reticule.......

[Historical Storms - NYC: stoms of 1821, 1893 & 1938; Carol(1954), Donna (1960), Connie(1955), Diane(1955), Agnes (1972), Gloria(1985), and since 1985 - Felix, Bertha, Floyd, and Tropical Storm Irene just last year]
It bounces back every time and will again

God Bless
Kevin

#24 ·
Stayed..more a water event then a wind event...the water would have had to rise a few more feet to do any real damage !!!

Unlike a true nor'easter the water went out quickly with the change of tide..

Today just cloudy and no real wind...lucked out !!!

Attachments

#23 ·
The storm is through here and on its way East for now. We are lucky in that we still have power. No cellphone but the land line still is working (gotta love that hard wired technology) We lost two 60 -70 foot oaks into my neighbor's yard and there is lots of small damage around the house. Gotta go out to survey the area. From what I can tell, the tidal surge pushed within a half mile of our house and we are a good mile from the Great South Bay. Reports are that Robert Moses State park is nearly leveled but these are unconfirmed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.