Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sunburnt Interior

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Zeitgeist 
#1 ·
My 87 which I am restoring has a bit of what appears to be sunburn on the lower right dash cover and glove box door. Before I screw it up I wanted to see if anyone knows the best course of action/products to try and fix this, or do I need new parts?

Also, I can't figure out where my interior color code is, I have my production card but it does not seem to be there.

My rear headrests are also cracked, I am hoping they can be re-covered easily.

Here are the dash pics:

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, the good news is that both those pieces are replaceable without having to remove the dash. I've never removed the rear head rests, but I think the covers can be removed without pulling the whole assembly. Most early cars with that exterior color had a Palomino interior, but I can't tell for sure based upon those pics. I have a nice Palomino glovebox lid with Zebrano from an '89 <

#3 ·
I had good results using SEM spray vinyl dye to recolor a grey console box to creme beige and repair some sun damaged plastic interior parts on my car. SEM offers a color intended for Acura, but it's a spot on match for MB creme beige. It might be worth a try on your dash parts, at worst, if it doesn't work, the parts are easily replacaable

#5 ·
I had a 91 SL one time that had discoloration on quite a bit of the plastic. I used a "magic eraser" with a little soap and the results were great. Just don't get too aggressive with it. Works on leather with a cautious eye. Pick them up at any supermarket for a couple bucks.

#6 ·
MBD, that was a great idea. I used the magic eraser with simple green, then clear water followed by Turtle Wax leather cleaner/conditioner. Thanks for the tip!

PS, are these panels leather or vinyl? Maybe I should use a vinyl protectant instead?

#9 ·
Only leather in your car are the seat surfaces that you sit on and maybe center of the door panels depending on year and trim level. All else is vinyl. Your door panels will come back like new as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.