Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

230 ce front seat.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sherman321 
#1 ·
After the demise of my BMW cabriolet which has just been written off I am going to see another 1990 230 ce. The man said that the front seat wiil not fold forwards and there could be a front window which will not go down. Any ideas ? Easy fixes or not. Funnily enough I traded my old 230 ce for the BMW 8 years ago.

#2 ·
Sorry to hear about your cab, that's a real shame. Still, it gives you an excuse to go car shopping...

If these are the only problems this coupe has, buy it like a shot!

My worry is that these kinds of niggling faults are only usually found on cars that haven't been maintained carefully - neither problem would likely be a difficult or expensive fix so why hasn't the work been done? It's amazing how many faults some owners can live with, some of them merely irritating, others dangerous.

Check the car really carefully with the assumption that there are worse, hidden faults and other damaged parts needing replacement. Get a clear idea of how up-to-date the servicing is and what's been spent on the car in the last couple of years - there should certainly be receipts for some important parts and consumables if this 22 year old car is currently in good order. If not, either buy it cheap and be prepared to do some work on the car yourself to bring it back to life, or walk (run) away.

Let us know what it's like... most people here are suckers for a nice CE, even if it's a bit of a project car.

#3 · (Edited)
This one is red and red with auto, cream leather, sunroof, cream carpets and all the other usual things that came with the lower end ones. It's done 129000 miles but there is no mention of history but it is taxed for 3 months and has only just been MOTd. He wants £999 for it.

I'll get more info before I go to inspect and get back later. The blue one is my first one.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
Neither fault is necessarily a big problem, but of course both could be difficult to diagnose if you aren't sure what's going on...
Does the window move at all? If it does but then stops at a certain point it's probably teeth broken off the regulator. Take the door card off (an easy job, see the DIY section of this forum) and check. If it is, get yourself a second hand regulator mechanism - they should be £15-25 (although make sure its teeth are NOT WORN!) Is the window completely dead? No elecrical noises? More complicated. Check the switch, wiring at switch, motor, fuses, relay etc. There are wiring schematics available via this forum, and plenty of advice on doing the jobs.

As for the front seat... Not sure if the backrest locks applies to your model? will it move when the override button is pressed in? As you probably know, the seat has a vacuum controlled release that auomatically locks it in the upright position while the doors are closed etc ( http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD1/Program/Maintenance/94_95/9151.pdf ) - check the vacuum pipe to the seat is connected/has vacuum and check the vacuum switch is still working. I know nothing of this job, maybe someone else can give you some useful advice!! Or do a forum search here.
In fact, just looked in the service manual at this page:
http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/91-115.pdf
looks like the seat needs to be removed for this job. Changing the switch looks easier:
http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/91-119.pdf

Take Moth's advice and have a good look (and listen) to the car, but I'm a sucker for the two door models!

Good luck.

Best of luck

Mark

(edit) Of course, nice shiny new regulators are recommended...

#5 ·
as a cab owner as well, I will suggest you to turn "ultra-picky-eagle-eyed-buyer" for a second )) check the soft top operation. Put the car on ground, open and close couple of times, see if there are some leaks underneath from the cylinders.

check the roll over bar operation.

And I would like to mention, that as you probably know, the soft top operation require that all windows should go down, manually or automatically, so if there is some problem with window operation, I dont know if it gonna mix up the soft top operation. check that point as well.

Open the boot, remove the right trim cover, and check the hydraulic fluid level.

Hope it will help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.