Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel pipes leaking from IP

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ibosley 
#1 ·
I finally took of my intake manifold and figured out where my fuel was leaking from. When the car runs there is plenty of diesel coming out from around the plates that are on top of the IP that the fuel pipes hook to. Is this a seal or something that needs to be replaced?

#5 ·
Fuel return hoses are small one, I would estimate about 8 mm, while delivery valves use much bigger, at least 12 mm orings. The special socket is for torquing the valve and is matching the multi-notch shape.
And again, I did the job without expensive socket by using stack of holding shims and crescent wrench. Takes some practice to apply even torque, but over a year later, there is no leak.

#6 ·
So I can't seem to find the socket needed to get those suckers out. Something like a 32 or 33 point socket? I found one for $80 but for something I'm going to use once I can't spring that. Does anyone have one they would want to mail me to use? Pretty please, I'll send it back with some dough for your troubles.

Or is there a cheap place to get one?

#12 ·
Oh I bought a "repair manual" from Bentley publishers. It doesn't have the word diesel in it anywhere. They just completely ignore that they exist, even in the available models chart. Talk about a ripoff. I called them about it and all they did was acknowledge the fact, no apologies for the lack of description or labeling or anything.

I have a Bentley manual for my diesel Jetta and I have since stopped using that forum. At 500+ pages it has more than you need to know. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one for this car.

#11 ·
Yeah. I was thinking about the same thing watching it again.
But I hope what looks like a dirt is solid corrosion that is not dropping inside the valves.
I see the corroded engines on pictures from other states, but this one looks like heavily salted every year in its life.

#14 ·
Okay I got the manifold off and had a look around under there. There are a belligerent number of vacuum lines under it. I took off this metal box that had two wire harnesses, one on each side, and about 5-6 vacuum hoses. Any clue what that does? Also, I broke a few of the black caps on top of the manifold that go to 3/8" hoses that travel over the valve cover and hook into a black diaphragm thingy-ma-bob. What do these do? I have extras so I can replace them, just having a hard time figuring out what they do. I'm guessing it is part of the egr system.

They don't seem to be very air tight, and worse yet, diesel fuel has leaked out of them wherever I have pulled the junctions apart. I'm trying to figure out how that and my intake manifold ports are wet with diesel.

Everything else looks good except for that area. I'll probably leave the fuel return lines alone unless I have to remove the pipes from the injectors. Can I just swing the fuel lines out of the way while I am working on the top of the IP?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.