Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What do you do at red lights with the Gear Selector?

What do you do with the gear selector when stopped at red lights?

2K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  cbc atl 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

This is my first automatic car and i was just wondering what i should do at red lights etc when i know I'm gonna be stopped for more than 1 minute.

One of my friends said the car is designed with that in mind (Ever driven a electric car recently? they too "Simulate" a torque converter) and it should not be a problem for the transmission.

But i think when the car is at D position, I'm stopping the car with the brakes when it wants to keep going forward. Obviously i only worry about this when i arrive at a light when it turns red.

What do you normally do? Any advice would be useful. I want the Transmission in my car to last as long as possible.

btw i have a 89 m103, 722.3.

#2 ·
I've never owned an automatic before either. Most of the time I just leave it in drive, but if I know I'm going to be at the light awhile then I will shift it into neutral. I don't really know what all is going on down there, but I figure if the car is trying to pull away from the brakes then the transmission must be slipping somewhere, so I may as well relieve the pressure during those extended stays.

#3 ·
Most cars at idle will inch forward - the drive gear is engaged after all and transferring power albeit very small amounts.
If your idle is slightly high then the car will want to move - often idle is affected by running conditions incline surface etc.
Slipping is not the issue.

Here have a read of this definition from howstuffworks:

A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling, which allows the engine to spin somewhat independently of the transmission. If the engine is turning slowly, such as when the car is idling at a stoplight, the amount of torque passed through the torque converter is very small, so keeping the car still requires only a light pressure on the brake pedal.
If you were to step on the gas pedal while the car is stopped, you would have to press harder on the brake to keep the car from moving. This is because when you step on the gas, the engine speeds up and pumps more fluid into the torque converter, causing more torque to be transmitted to the wheels.

#5 ·
Automatic transmissions are weird.

I kinda understand what you guys are saying....

Let me put it this way,

Will it put more wear on the car to put it into Neutral than just leaving it in Drive?

Thanks for the posts and the votes :)

#11 ·
What do I do with the gear selector when stopped at a red light?

Well if nobody is looking I kind of stroke it and talk to it ...

Seriously, I don't see any reason to take the transmission out of Drive. On a related thought, if I didn't have to have my foot on the brake at a light, my stop lights wouldn't be on. I wonder if approaching drivers would think I'm rolling and misjudge what they need to do...?

#13 ·
Well, I guess Im going to be one of the 'lone dissenters'...

The owners manual itself states that, if you're going to be sitting for 'an extended period of time' you should put it into N (I will find the exact page and edit later).

As I see it, sitting in drive is a fight between the brakes and the drivetrain/torque converter. The result is extra heat. Around here, extra heat is certainly not welcome, so if I know the light is going to be 'busy' I will 'out-shift'.

It seems to get the lights to change faster, too! :p

#20 ·
There is a little known method of using 1st gear to pull away from a stop light.
Typically the 124 transmission starts in 2nd gear if you leave it in drive.
If while stationary you drop the shifter all the way down to the "2" position and then back to "D" the transmission will pull away in first gear.
Try it !

#21 ·
I with geordie, especially it there is an uphill/incline at the light or stop sign or you're are going to gun it.

It does give the break just a little more of a work out and especially with the ac on, but the 1st gear start is nice sometimes. I do not ever move the trans to neutral at a stop and would only move it to 2nd and back if it were moved at all. 211,000 miles original trans.

I guess there are 2 or 3 times a month during daily driving that I use 1st gear start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.