Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

e300 runs but dies when warms up

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  16v vw 
#1 ·
I just got a w124 that was sitting for 5 years it needed an axle so i fixed it and went to drive it but wile it warmed up it died and had no throttle responce. Fired it up and drove it home but the engine power would fade in and out then got it home and it died so i waited 2 mins and fired it up then reved it to 3k and it died. Tried to start it and no go. Let it cool 100% and it had a good 10 mins before it croakedAny idead guys? I have a mk2 gti 2.0 16v cis(e) and a vr6 mk2 turbo so i know my way around the cars.

#4 ·
If the car has sat for so long its a good idea to change all the common "tune-up" parts.

Dont flush the fuel filter, just grab a new one for about $20 (OEM)

Do the simple things first.

#5 ·
So now you get to "know your way" around a diesel....

Drain the 5 year old fuel in the tank. Change or clean the tank fuel screen. Fill with fresh diesel. Change the main and pre-fuel filters. Run Diesel Purge through the injection system. Check for fuel leaks and air infiltration around all (12 or so) connections of the fuel lines to and from the injection pump and filters. Check the fuel return lines (from each injector) for leaks.

#9 ·
Sorry im new. Its a 1990 gasser. I pulled the plugs and there is no insulator on 2 of them. Im gonna replace in the am. Any easy way to drain the tank? I notice its conviently located in the trunkThe dizzy looks great and the wires are beru and awesome shape and all same ohm reading

#14 ·
I changed the plugs since the 3 of of them had no insulator left on the electrode and she runs sooo smooth but ya cant whack the gas hard from the getgo or dies. I put marvel mystry oil in the gas to hopefully lube up the fuel dizzy and clean the stuff. Im gonna get the dealer plate n take it out and see how it goes. :) im soo excited about this since i love nid year cars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.