Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

w124 auxiliary fan assembly replacement

17K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  oefvetw124lover 
#1 ·
hello guys im trying to replace the whole auxiliary fan assembly on my 1992 300e since one of the fans is not working anymore, i was goint to follow the instructions on the Model 124 Maintenance Manual when i found this problem: when disconnecting the pressure lines at the condenser what will happen? what are those for? do i have to remove the whole condenser to install the dual fan assembly or can i just slide it in? thanks in advance for your help.

#7 ·
It can be done without blowing the charge. Whatever it takes to keep from blowing the charge is worth the trouble. Every time you open the system you run the risk of developing a leak, contaminating the system with moisture which ultimately causes corrosion.

Just start taking things apart and think your way through the job.

Best of luck with it.

#8 ·
thanks for the link John! as soon i get off work will try that, and could not agree more with you Larry, thank you both, I'll let you know what happen, also i'm going to take some pictures to post what i did. but one last thing, how do i try if the fans will work before putting the things back on?

#9 ·
This is the procedure I use to get the aux fans out.

1) Remove both headlight assemblies

2) Remove/drill out the plastic plugs on the fan shroud. Be careful not to damage condenser.

3) Remove aux fan electrical connector next to power steering pump

4) Remove aux fan shroud

5) Remove screws holding aux fan assembly to condenser

6) Move engine radiator back far enough allow aux fan & shroud removal. Might need to remove engine fan clutch.

7) Reverse steps for reassembly. No need to open up refrigerant lines at all.

P.S.: Be sure to check aux fan rotation after re-install using a piece of paper. If fan does not suck air in, simply reverse electrical connector at the PS pump.

#13 ·
really, would you send me a link please,
Sorry I can't find the thread. But, here are some pictures of the R&R. I numbered the pictures 1-7 corresponding to the steps.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

#17 ·
First off, I've done it, you don't need to remove the headlights or the uncouple the condensor from the rest of the system. It is a bit of a tight fit to get a couple of the bolts, I recommend a ratcheting wrench.

Secondly, once you put the new fan in, make sure it's spinning the right direction. I got an aftermarket one, and the plug on the fan was wired backwards, causing the fan to blow air forwards, causing a quite obnoxious low speed overheating problem. Fortunately if you chop off the pin on the fan plug, then you can plug it in backwards, and all was right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.