Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

todays progress

783 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Torque655 
#1 ·
1. adjust headlights

-attempted to lower the beam on the left headlight. Got it a little lower by loosening the bolts and pushing light downward but its still a bit high.

2. New speakers

For the Record:

-I ordered front and rear speakers from becker autosound. It lists them as the "dash and rear speaker upgrades".Their website lists upgraded front speakers for $80 and rears for $100 but no speakers specs or brands. I went with them because i knew i would receive direct fit speakers and for the money, I was expected a high quality speaker. I assumed this since I went with the factory brand. I did not actually ask on the brand/model though:rolleyes:. You sent in your rear speaker mounts and they send you back with the rears in the brackets. However, the speakers are the Cadence zxs 120. What disappointing is that I see these speakers other places online for $40!!!? So at $80 for fronts and $100 for the rears, I feel I overpaid a bit for what I got :(. And they do definitely sound better than factory, but not $180 better. At least total time for all four was a 20 min install. I do have the factory deck still so possibly I'll have better results with a modern deck.

3. Ignition tumbler

-Got my new one from the dealer last week and finally found the tool to get it out at lowes for about $2.50. The four pack monkey hooks come cut on an angle perfect for removing the tumbler. It took me less than 3 minutes to get it out. I put the new one in and ensured it was all the way in by starting the car before I turned the key to the off position to remove it. I had read that removing the key too soon leaves the lock stuck, which I definitely didn't want to happen. My only problem with this process is the black metal tumbler cover does not fit over the new one. In fact, I try to push the black cover over the new, it causes the tumbler not to turn(which I originally thought I had locked the ignition). But take it off, the tumbler feels very smooth and will run as normal. I'm going to ask the dealership if there is a different part that covers this tumbler, as I noticed its a different part number than whats on the old tumbler.

Tomorrow, I'm picking up a freshly painted, rust free fender. Looking forward to that.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You will definitely get better sound with a new deck. Sorry to confirm, but you are right you did overpay.
I replaced all my speakers a few months ago. Dash got Cadence direct fits (4.75 inch) for less than $45 and my rears are Harmon Kardon's that cost me $40.

I also replaced the deck and am very happy with the sound.

Mark

#6 ·
Dang. Hopefully, I can find a good deal on a deck to attempt to recoup the dollars I lost. There are a few stereo shops nearby. If I can find one that has a similar color scheme to the stock one, I'll probably get it.

Hell yes! that's why I work at Lowe"s! because of the MB tools:D
Im pretty happy I found it as well.

No need to replace the black cap. If the key won't turn with the cap installed, it's solely because the cap is not installed/oriented correctly.

The steering lock needs to engage through the slot on the side of the cap. If the steering lock cannot push out the steering lock cylinder it will result in the key not turning.
I re-looked over what I was looking at and saw the slot. Then I noticed this new tumbler had two spring clips where the original had one. When trying to finagle those monkey hooks down there to hold down the springs in to get the black covering on(since the key would not go in far enough to do it the easy way in position 1), the bottom clip fell out leaving the top. This allow me to get to position 1 and put the black piece over. Tumbler works fine. Only thing I notice, when turning the wheel with the car off, the tumbler visibly moves a bit. Not sure if that clip that fell over into the dash would remedy that but now that it looks good and still functions properly, Im not too worried about it.

#5 ·
No need to replace the black cap. If the key won't turn with the cap installed, it's solely because the cap is not installed/oriented correctly.

The steering lock needs to engage through the slot on the side of the cap. If the steering lock cannot push out the steering lock cylinder it will result in the key not turning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.