Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  visal911 
#1 ·
Spending some time at Pick & Pull today it was disturbing to see how many cars are ruined by people just concerned about getting their part. Four pristine door panels completely ruined to get at the switches. I would have bought all 4 panels but they are junk now.

MY driver side window gear is missing some teeth. Looks like the folks sitting in the front row of The Grand Ole Opera folk music show. Where did all those teeth go? lol!
Finally found a good "gear" for $24 but forgot to bring a drill and bit to get the rivets out. The guy says he might want another $10 bucks for that tiny piece. Anyone know where to get some good steel rivets to replace the original ones? Home Depot only has Aluminum and that doesn't seem strong enough for this application.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Freaking Pic-n-Pull, the company was sold not long ago, the management is still useless.
Ever go upfront and tell them ‘ Hey the kids are smashing the car windows ‘

They don’t care.

It is sad when you see parts being destroyed by savage beast‘s.

Just a thought here, but did you check fleabay first for a window regulator ?
$ 30 for a brand new one with free shipping.

1987-93 Mercedes Benz 300D window regulator front left | eBay

#5 ·
Frankthemoneyman; I probably should have done the ebay thing but I didn't know P&P was going to three piece out a window regulator, and it's true, all I got was a USED, 20 year old regulator. I thought I was going to save some time...hahaha. I've made that mistake before. Now I need to find some steel rivets the correct size and install this antique to see if it works.

#7 ·
It's pretty sad to see the damage these a##holes do trying to trying to liberate some minor part, My local PnP currently has a 95 400E with a excellent palomino leather interior. I would have bought the entire interior except some SOB before me pulled out the rear seat cushion to get to the door lock pump and threw the seat into a mud puddle so now it's all mildewed and punctured from other junk laying on the ground. They probably would have recovered the cost of that car just on me buying the interior. but now, most of that interior is worthless. I did salvage the four MB floor mats for 99 cents apiece and they cleaned up great. When I remove an unfamiliar part, I use that as a learning experience to learn how to properly remove the part with little or no collateral damage. But if I do break something, it was on a junker, not my car. I dont know, maybe some of these characters show up with only a hammer and prybar in their toolbox, but they can sure wreak a lot of havoc which unfortunately drives up the price of the parts that actually end up being salable.

#9 ·
It's really sad because once you know how, removing these door panels is super quick and easy. I'm currently stripping one of my Audis, and was really puzzled about how to remove the panels. I don't need them and thought that I might just pry them off, but where's the skill in that? I broke down and looked in the manual, and lo and behold it turned out that the entire Chinese puzzle is unlocked by depressing a simple tiny hidden tab under the armrest--five minutes later it's off.

#10 ·
I have had the door panels off my E several times, nothing gets damaged in the process. My 05 Silverado on the other hand relies on prying loose fragile clips and snaps which usually results in something getting cracked or broken. I cant believe it costs more to engineer more service friendly attachments, particularly for a high volume manufacturer like GM.

#11 ·
Yeah, those who ruin perfectly good, and increasingly rare, parts should be smacked upside the head with a large box-end wrench.

#12 ·
Always a bit grim to see a 124 in a yard in the first place, worse to see good rare parts torn up this way. Especially when removing the bloody switches is a simple matter of just prying out the door-handle trim - a 7-second job. How does he plan to fit his new switches to his car? With an axe?

What a cretin. May he be cursed by many expensive breakdowns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.