Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Crap....Windshield took a rock right now.

4K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  alia176 
#1 ·
On the way to work right now got a huge rock fling up and its made a huge crack in the windshield... :crybaby2:

Doesn't look repairable and from the outside I nearly cut my finger on it since its got a huge lip on it where it hit -- its pretty deep and the spiders web has spread out about 2 inch's in all directions (immediately happened).
Even if it is repairable, I am not sure if its even worth it since after 23 years its pretty pitted and its not that great viewing when the sun is low you can see that it looks sand blasted.

What are my options? I remember reading something somewhere that MB doesn't make our windshields anymore? I am hoping I read wrong...

Any clues on the $$$ replacement?
I don't have any experience with windshields so this is new to me.

Thanks guys.

#31 · (Edited)
Alright guys so I went to Safelite yesterday, they found the OE glass and quoted me $548.

I then went down to the place where I got my tint done a few weeks ago and he said he could get me a Pilkington glass (no MB star) for $248 installed. Decided this was a great deal so going with it. (EDIT: Just read yours now Moth -- sounds like the same glass as I am getting! :))

I was actually inspecting my glass today, and it is in fact not original. It has the "Produced by Daimler-Benz" white sticker, but the glass itself has no MB star on it.
What I will do is find myself that white sticker again and put it on. I'm sure its still available with a little searching. Moth -- you wouldn't happen to have a part# anywhere for it would you? I know you were making a huge list of OE stickers a little while ago.

They will be installing today so I will report back tonight with the results! I can only imagine the visibility change is going to be drastic, my shield is pretty dang pitted.

#34 ·
Pilkington is the way to go..... a few years back I had a $250 safelite glass installed.... it cracked within a month. They then convinced me to get a "high performance" glass, it was $350..... cracked within two months....... I went to dealer, got Pilkington...... the glass was perfect the rest of my ownership of 5+ yrs

good luck

#32 · (Edited)
ps2cho, good news that you've sourced the right deal. Hope all goes well, it's going to be sweet to look out of fresh, clean glass. I reckon we'll really notice the difference in bright sun, or in the glare of lights at night when all those tiny chips and scratches are so visible. Mine should be done next Wednesday, can't wait. (Your price, when converted to £'s, is almost exactly what I was quoted too.)

As for the finishing touch of a new sticker: it's a shame, but the one you had is NLA. There have been several versions since, all of them having dropped the 'Daimler' wording, but there's only one suitable 'classic era' version still available which is pictured below. It's actually a nice, subtle transparent design, probably early-90's. It has a transparent back-ground as you can see.

'Mercedes-Benz Product' windshield decal: 004-584-73-38

(My geeky stickers thread is lurking in the DIY sticky if you ever need it again).

#35 ·
ps2cho, for some reason I thought you were in Sacramento Ca. my bad.
$248 is a pretty good deal and I guess there is a warranty?
MY GUYS WOULD DO IT FOR $195 OUT THE DOOR
Chandler AZ. to Dublin Ca. IS A BIT OF A DRIVE....(741 MILES..yikes!!!)
HOPE THIS WORKS OUT WELL FOR YOU, the glass you're getting has a tinted sun shade?

#38 ·
Sorry to hear(read) about the crack in your vision. Just replaced my windshield at a professional glass shop. The cost was $190 including tax and installation. It took about an hour and they were very professional. We could not be happier with the results. We took the blue retaining tape off 2 days later. Benz wanted over $700 for the same thing and would take "all day." Not our cup of tea.

#44 ·
^ yes to all. I am happy. Did spot a small smudge of glue on inside of hood, but it's out of sight. The job was good otherwise. No wind noises or panels sticking up. I'll remove the glue at a later date

Drastic visibility difference!

#46 ·
Another follow up, more for the benefit of my fellow British members...

Autoglass is the leading UK firm, with a nationwide network of shops and a huge mobile presence. Many insurers use them by defaut, as mine do, but as with any large operation they get mixed reviews.

I had booked a mobile repair. The fitter arrived on time at my house, but after having a good look he asked if I'd be prepared to follow him back to the local workshop a couple of miles away (Camden, North London). He was worried that the previous fitter had made a poor job that might cause complications on removal. He also said he'd never done a 124 but one of his work-mates was a Mercedes nut, and he'd like his help.

Once at the shop they removed the trim very quickly - wiper covers X 2, lower windshield rubber, side / roof trims X2, all simple to remove. The wiper arm had to come off (easy, on allen bolt and pull off)) but not the main assembly - they were able to leave that in place. As far as I know, early 124's dont have the pop-off covers and have to be disassembled further, is that correct?

They found that the screen trim had been incorrectly fitted in the past, and that shockingly the glass itself hadn't been sealed / glued at all in the lower left corner, where the crack / de-laminating had appeared. We expected to find rust in the pillar and frame, it was a tense moment probing about when the old glass was clear but in the event there was only a little surface corrosion on the scuttle. That was a major relief - a rotten A pillar would be hideous to deal with. They wire brushed it, coated in rust converter, and proceeded with their usual primer.

It was satisfying to watch them refit everything, they seated all the trim perfectly having done a faultless install. They also greased the wiper piston and assembly before refitting the cover, which was a nice touch. They'd noticed the condition of my old car and commented on it with surprise, and they seemed keen to do as good a job as they could - they praised the strong trim and metal clips of the 124, which caused them no problems unlike the fragile items they find on many moderns.

While the sealant cured, they also let me use their powerful glass-sucking vacuum to get under the seats and in the load-bay, and I talked to some other owners waiting for repairs, among them a young guy in a Porsche Cayman, the owner of a tricked-out black Sprinter van with big rims and tints, and best of all a very pretty girl who turned up in an equally pretty 1979 SLC.

Autoglass installers do an average of 6 replacements / repairs every day, and their experience showed. I would recommend them, even for cherished older cars, judging by the care they showed toward mine. They've all worked on Ferraris, Lambos and Bentleys, after all. They also give a lifetime guarantee on their workmanship.

That's it then - not as scary an experience as I'd feared and that new screen takes years off the car.

Tim

#47 ·
I have to chime in and say that I payed $196 (tax included) for a guy to come to my house last year and install a windshield in my 300e in my drive way. It looks like the one that was in there before, with the blue shading at the top, and it's never leaked, and is holding up really well. I have no complaints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.