Date registered: Feb 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Must ASD Lamp light up?

Dear Mercedes friends,
I have a W124 300E 1988 model.
I have had the ASD lamp repaired at a repair shop.
They say that the lamp must not ligth up at all.
Question:
Must the ASD lamp ligth up when I turn the key, like all the other lamps on the dashboard?
Must the ASD light up when the wheels spin at low speed, fex when starting from green light at slipery roads?
Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks,
Henrik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
They say it should never light up at all? Well then what is it for? LOL.

Mine lights up with the other warning lights when I start the car and then turns off. I have yet to have it come on while driving, but I also have never broken traction while driving. It should come on if ASD activates though, which can only happen at slow speeds with loss of traction.

I did not know the '88's had ASD. I thought they started offering it in '90. Anyway, it sounds like yours is working normally unless I'm misunderstanding you.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 08:08 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Must ASD Lamp light up?

Thank you so much for your confirmation that the lamp should light up when turning the key.
Unfortunately this does not happen with my ASD lamp.
Before I sent it for repair it was ligthing up from time to time when driving. At last it was lit all the time.
After the repair it never light up anymore, so I think they have removed the cable or something.
Does anyone know how to fault find on it. I heard there is a relay somewhere.
Anyone knows where to look for it?
Anyone knows how to remove the dashboard to check teh wires and bulb?
Thanks,
Henrik
#4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 93 300TD, 88 230TE
Hi
the binnacle just pushes out from behind - or pulls out from the front...

the tools can be made from wire - coat-hangers work!

cheers

Cheers!
#5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 1984 380sl, 1988 300ce, 1988 420sel (gone)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The ASD system really has two lights. The first light is at the right hand side of the bottom instrument and is marked "ASD". This will come on when you turn the ignition on and then go out. It will only come again if there if a fault is detected in the system. It does not come on to indicate the ASD is engaged.

The second light is a small yellow rectangle with a "!" inside of a triangle. It is located in the top part of the speedometer and it will come on when a speed difference of 2 kms/h is noted between the front and rear wheels indicating a slippery road condition. The ASD will automatically engage if your road speed is less than 25 km/h and disengage at 50 km/h.
Living in the great white north, unlike Chuck, that light comes fairly frequently during or shortly after a snow storm.

ASD was a rather expensive option available in Europe in the 80's (I have an 88 that was imported from Europe) and was never offered in America as a stand alone option except for diesel cars in the early 90's. It was standard as part of the 4matic system.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My bad...I forgot about the lower light...lol!

But, that doesn't change my experience too much. Both lights come on with the ignition and I have not seen either come on at any other time. According to my owner's manual, this is how it should work. It adds that only the triangle light should come on if you are moving and wheel spin is detected. If the lower ASD light comes on while the engine is running then the system is malfunctioning.

And london; I park the car in the garage if we get any white stuff. I'm confident in my ability to drive in it and I've driven other Mercedes' in it with surprisingly good results, but unless I absolutely have to go out, I just park and not worry about a thing! I suppose if I were to try hard enough I might be able to break traction in the rain, but since I'm old and slow now, I drive like I'm old and slow! This car is actually really hard to upset in the rain. When I lived in an area with 4 months of ice and snow on the roads, I had a 4WD SUV and a little beater Geo Storm with snow tires. Had I owned the Mercedes at the time, I'm still not sure I would have ventured out in it. I'm just REALLY protective of it...lol!
#7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2012, 03:44 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Must ASD Lamp light up? Reply to Thread

Thank you so mcuh all of you. Very valuable answers!
This really taught me how the system should work.
I have never seen my top Triangle light up.
I have only seen the lower ASD light up when it was slippery on the roads.
I might in that case have had fault on the system since I bought the car 2 years ago.
I believe I will start checking the instument dash board ASD lamp by removing it with a modified coat-hanger, to see if the repair shop just removed the wire or lamp in the lower part.
When the lower ASD lamp works with ignition on then I supoose I can start the fault finding using the short-circiut in the box under the motor hood and then count the blinking to learn what other sensors are faulty.
Any other hints are most welcome as I have no experience at all.
/Henrik
#8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Was there a resolution to hm's issue?

I've fixed faults shown by code (one of the front wheel sensors) and while underneath pulled and cleaned the diff sensor, as well, even though it wasn't generating a code - only the right front wheel sensor (it and the left sensor were gunked up with brake dust and once zeroed out, the code didn't come back).

Is the module marked "ASD" the only computer involved? If the differential solenoid isn't working, would a code be generated and/or would the actuation simply not work? Or would the triangular light not work if the differential solenoid isn't working?

Yeah, lots of questions!

George Stephenson
1991 350 SDL (199K and she ain't bent, yet)
former 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon - good car
former 1985 300 CD - great car
former 1981 300 TD - good car
former 1972 280 SEL - not so good car
a couple of those diesel Rabbits ...40-45 mpg
#9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Is the module marked "ASD" the only computer involved?
Sort of. It's fed by the OVP relais. If the OVP relais has a fault, the ASD doesn't work.

Quote:
If the differential solenoid isn't working, would a code be generated and/or would the actuation simply not work?
In theory, the ASD error warning light (the lower one) should light up. Simple test: Short pin 8 & 10 on the ASD's socket - oil should now flow. Put a hose on the bleed nipple on top of the differential and open the nipple. This also bleeds the ASD at the same time, which would be the next step in finding any faults

Bleeding the system cured my ASD completely

Quote:
Or would the triangular light not work if the differential solenoid isn't working?
The triangle only lights up, if the ASD is in operation. If the ASD doesn't work, the triangle doesn't light up. It's there to inform the driver about loss of traction on the rear wheels.

'84 Austin Mini. 998 to 1293cc...
'88 300CD Turbo 473, 273, 4spd. auto
#10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2003
Right, so the triangular light is illuminated when what happens? The solenoid is actuated? (assumption has to be made somewhere that this is the electrical signal generator, since there isn't a pressure sensor in the feed line?

The only bleed I found was on the side of the valve itself,the bleed bolt being just below and to the left of the solenoid ... is there another one on the top of the differential? (this is the valve assembly behind the fuel tank on the passenger side of the car)

Is it reasonable to just pull the entire ASD valve assembly, take it apart, make sure lines are draining with no blockages and that solenoid moves in response to 12v?

When I cracked the nuts on the lines there was some pressure, but not as much as I though there should have been, fluid poured out but didn't squirt (engine was running) ... this, combined with an early morning thought that I rebuilt the power steering pump in 2007 (has worked great since then) and perhaps I screwed something up since it also provides pressure to the ASD?

George Stephenson
1991 350 SDL (199K and she ain't bent, yet)
former 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon - good car
former 1985 300 CD - great car
former 1981 300 TD - good car
former 1972 280 SEL - not so good car
a couple of those diesel Rabbits ...40-45 mpg

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.