Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Question about w124 Blower

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  krshultz 
#1 ·
Just have a quick question about a 89' 300e! I haven't been able to find a replacement regulator for the Mercedes at least under $400 (US) The motor has been tested and works fine. Here's my question, I've traced the problem to a bad ground (maybe a wire, or even the regulator itself?) Anyway, when I correct the ground by adding a 3 party wire, the blower motor switches on at full speed. Though the only problem there is it cannot be correct or switched to a different speed via the Climate control unit. I've thought about adding a variable speed adjuster for the moment being as it is cold up here! Anyone have any ideas to what may be the issue, or how to correct it? Thanks in advance! :D

#3 ·
That's what I paid a few months ago-$120 for OE. I don't think you'll find OE for less and I sure wouldn't go pick 'n pull unless you like the idea of going in there again.:rolleyes: To bad they don't just sell the reg itself without the heatsink...with some correct thermal paste, you could reattach the new reg to existing heatsink. AFAIK, alum heatsink would not deteriorate in function over time.

Kevin

#6 ·
#4 ·
Thanks guys! I went to AAP to price this sucker and even the guy at the counter almost fell over lol Initially he priced me at around $100 US...until he looked up the part #! As far as the junker goes ironically I went a few weeks back but would you guess it? Both W124 models were relatively unmolested EXCEPT for the blower motor, and regulator! :crybaby2: Now out of curiousity, there was another W124 in their other yard, BUT upon removal of all the componants to expose where I thought the regulator would be, it was no where to be found, though it looked as if the wires attached to the motor went to a metal box, possibly with springs - attached to the body behind the Jectronic, OVP, and ABS modules. If it helps, I believe it was a 90'. Any Ideas? Thanks!

#8 ·
Resurrecting this just in case anybody is looking for a blower motor regulator. The place Fish linked to is still, hands down, the cheapest I've found, although the one with the heat sink is now up to $110. If their customer service is any good at all, this looks like a good find. :) I hope they're reasonably fast with the shipping - I'd like to have this in hand by the weekend (it's Monday now).

My blower started going in and out a bit - slowing down for no obvious reason, then speeding immediately back up, then down again. Last I had the fan itself out, it spun freely, and I lubricated its bushings. I doubt the blower would work at all if the strip fuse was bad. The regulator is my guess, based on my research here. I figure it can't hurt to replace it either way.

#9 ·
It's crucial that you check the brush length on the blower motor. Because the symptoms you describe can be from worn brushes. 'Usually' when a reg goes bad it will just let the blower operate at one speed....or it dies completely and you have no blower operation. There are exceptions of course.

Kevin

#10 ·
Thank you all!

I apoligize for the extremely late reponse! Things have been a little crazy leading up to this point. Again, I want to thank all who took the time to give ideas, the project had been dead up until this point. :crybaby2: Long story short as when removing the whole assembly the motor was indeed fine. The problem turned out to be the regulator - scored the replacement from a low mileage donor for $20! One thing I didn't check was the bushings on the motor, but as soon as daylight hits I will get in there and see what they look like. Any ideas on length bushings should be before considered scrap? Thanks again in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.