Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Changing motor mounts need answer ASAP

6K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  rayhennig 
#1 ·
Changing motor mounts right now. Ordered the parts from AutoHaus and on the site it said there were two different mounts, one for the right side and one for the left. The package arrived and both mounts are the exact same part number ... is this correct? Are the motor mounts on the e300d the same on both sides?

#5 ·
Pulled the old ones out and compared them side by side, they look exactly the same so I put the new ones in without a problem and WOW! What a difference it made in the car.

The parts I received were:
Lemfoerder: 1086202

The drivers side mount had completely collapsed and hydraulic fluid was all over the surrounding area. I just replaced my tensioner pulley, tensioner lever, tensioner shock and belt and I think that the collapsed motor mount was actually the culprit for the failure of the accessory belt pulley.

Here are some pictures:
I was planning on doing a write-up

#13 ·
Wall of text, sorry

I dont think you would have any problem as is, in a few years when its less good, it might sog a bit on one side that gets to much beating compared to what it was designed for, but no, there isnt any real problem, and not al cars had different on different sides, atleast according to the EPC.
---
looking at EPC, the om603 turbo for example seem to have the same mount on both side, even with AC, the 124 240 17 19 (colorcoded yellow according to AUTODOCs crappy sites afaik atleast)
the om606NA equiped s124 E 300TD on the other hand seems to have the same mount when no AC the 124 240 17 19, but with AC, the Right side still has the 17 19 (yellow) and the left side gets the A 201 240 52 17 that AUTODOC supplies as both purple/orange mounts, aswell as one pink.

im a bit conflicted weather or not the 201 240 52 17 is softer or firmer than the 124 240 17 19. (since al other times the Purple/orange mounts seems softer than the yellow, but the 201 240 52 17 suddenly pops up a pink one amongst al others)
(logic says it should perhaps be firmer since it has to endure a few extra kg in weight from the AC, and the reason autodoc lists it amongs the purple/orange ones is just their way of guessing)

im just trying to make some logic out of the colorcodes, and what numbers to look for when replacing the enginemounts on the car.
stumbled upon this when searching, and thought id pop in and put in what i have "found"

will keep this updated in the future, bought some of the unmarked ones, to compare and see how they behave in the car.
Enginemounts ? colour codes | Mercedes-Benz turbo

#29 ·
Resurrecting an old thread because I found your post @swampmonkey and your write-up on the different engine mounts to be helpful: Enginemounts – colour codes | Mercedes-Benz turbo

I am changing out the engine mounts for my 1993 w201 Sportline and was wondering if there is a stiffer mount available from MB. According to EPC (or whatever it is called now: aftersales.daimler.com/) the part number for my car is A1242401717. If I understand your write-up correctly, A1242401917 is stiffer? How did you determine the stiffness of the different color-codes and part numbers?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Roland

Wall of text, sorry

I dont think you would have any problem as is, in a few years when its less good, it might sog a bit on one side that gets to much beating compared to what it was designed for, but no, there isnt any real problem, and not al cars had different on different sides, atleast according to the EPC.
---
looking at EPC, the om603 turbo for example seem to have the same mount on both side, even with AC, the 124 240 17 19 (colorcoded yellow according to AUTODOCs crappy sites afaik atleast)
the om606NA equiped s124 E 300TD on the other hand seems to have the same mount when no AC the 124 240 17 19, but with AC, the Right side still has the 17 19 (yellow) and the left side gets the A 201 240 52 17 that AUTODOC supplies as both purple/orange mounts, aswell as one pink.

im a bit conflicted weather or not the 201 240 52 17 is softer or firmer than the 124 240 17 19. (since al other times the Purple/orange mounts seems softer than the yellow, but the 201 240 52 17 suddenly pops up a pink one amongst al others)
(logic says it should perhaps be firmer since it has to endure a few extra kg in weight from the AC, and the reason autodoc lists it amongs the purple/orange ones is just their way of guessing)

im just trying to make some logic out of the colorcodes, and what numbers to look for when replacing the enginemounts on the car.
stumbled upon this when searching, and thought id pop in and put in what i have "found"

will keep this updated in the future, bought some of the unmarked ones, to compare and see how they behave in the car.
Enginemounts ? colour codes | Mercedes-Benz turbo

#14 ·
Also, with Diamler being Diamler and doing everything to the n'th degree, the older 300E (86 and 88) had different engine mounts for those with manual transmissions. I sighed heavily, kept the originals when converting to a manual. Car was fine, at least to my uneducated butt.

#15 ·
Wow, how timely.

Tonight I diagnosed a collapsed engine mount on my '87 300TD. Searched around a bit in the garage and found a set of new-in-box genuine MB motor mounts, part # 201 240 52 17. Apparently I bought these for my '95 E300 Diesel.

According to a couple of the MB dealer sites that sell on-line, I need the 124 240 19 17 mounts for the '87 wagon, for both sides. Dealer price is about $140 each. Aftermarket Lemforder or Rein is about $60 each. Note that the aftermarket websites cross list the Lemforder and Rein to BOTH of the MB part numbers above.

Do I install the new parts I have, or order the "correct" parts? I think I shall review my maintenance records for this car and see if I've already replaced this engine mount and what I used when I did.

#21 · (Edited)
Unless you get lucky and they give you old stock, they're also made in China. ZF/Boge/Lemforder is MBs supplier. Nobody makes this shit in Germany anymore. The last German made mounts went out the door last summer when ZF had deep discounts on all its engine mounts.

#24 · (Edited)
Not sure I'm buying this story that now even OE parts come out of China.

Example: Bosch F8DC4 plugs are ruskies, but the MB branded Bosch version of the F8DC4 (when they were still available) all were made in Germany. I bought out the whole stock in Belgium and northern France. 504 plugs, now down almost 100 plugs left.

I have yet to come across a single OE MB vehicle part (apart from boutique accessories) that says "Made in China". If that's what's coming down the pike, I'm going to park mine and order a brand new Fiat 124 Abarth or Volvo V90 as a daily or just stick with the motorcycle.

#33 · (Edited)
Took long enough but here’s what I found.

The engine mounts specified for my car in the EPC, as noted in a previous message, are 124 240 1717. Upon uninstalling I found them to be part no. 201 240 4317. As per your write up on mbturbo, @swampmonkey these both fall into the same bucket. No color markings left on them but they measured as follows. (I measured using a reference point so likely not precise)

Height unloaded: 104mm
Left side loaded: ~83mm

Also as per your write up, I ordered 2x of part no. 1242401917 which has clear yellow markings on them. Measurements as follows:

Height unloaded: 114mm
Left side loaded: ~84mm

As you can see, both loaded measurements are pretty much the same, but 1242401917 is about 10mm taller when unloaded

The photos also tell a Story.
Left is the original 201 part and right is the 124 part.
Note the metal skirt that extends further down for the 124 part, creating an encasement for the rubber. It stands to reason that this skirt helps make this part more rigid than the 201 part shown next to it. I’m assuming that the structure on the top helps with rigidity some too.

Hope this helps!

#34 ·
My 300CE with aircon has 2 of the same mounts. The EPC lists it like this:

5A 124 240 22 17RUBBER MOUNTING
FRONT RIGHT; NOT USED W/AIR CONDITIONER
5A 124 240 22 17RUBBER MOUNTING
FRONT; ONLY USED W/AIR CONDITIONER
5A 124 240 21 17ENGINE MOUNTING
FRONT LEFT; USED WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONER

With A 124 240 22 17 NOT used with aircon and ONLY used with aircon.

Clear as mud?

RayH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.