Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

300E Reverse signal

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  MBCarGuy007 
#1 ·
Hello all BW memebers,
I'm in process of installing backup camera in both my 300e and 420sel and need help locating reverse signal cable.

I am aware that i can just hook it up to reverse lights and it will work (I did this in my Santa Fe) but wanted to see if i can get Always on reverse camera so that i can see behind even when car is in motion.
It is not critical but if i can hook up that way then it will be perfect setup.
Else i will just use reverse lights.

I will be posting same in w126 thread as i need help with that model as well.

#2 ·
If I am reading your post correctly, you would like the cameras on at all times. Assuming this it based on the reverse lights voltage signal, you could take that input wire and connect it to your switched power for the Jerry. This would enable your camera function whenever the key is on. It would be easy enough to test.

Todd

#3 ·
Todd,
You were close.
I connected camera power cable to switched wires so it is always on when key is on but i wanted to use reverse signal wire to connect to gps so that it switches to rear view when car is in reverse.

#4 · (Edited)
So finally I wired up gps unit in my 300e after using same unit in my 420sel for a year.

It is On-dash unit with all functionality minus cd/dvd of in-dash unit.

It is connected with car wiring and turns on/off with car.

I wired where my keyless entry was wired before as all cables i need were there.

Only thing remaining is to find reverse cable for tail lights. I already ran one cable from trunk to drivers area but wondering what following cables are for.

I know one is for central locking system and runs all the way to trunk. i Think 5th from top.
Yellow and red cables are used for always hot and ignition for keyless entry system.

If anybody knows if rest of cables are for tail lights and i can wire it here itself. Or if somebody know wire color chart for tail lights in '93 300e then it will be great help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.