Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What are those great looking W124 wheels???

52K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Automotivet 
#1 ·
Saw a fairly good movie last night, which featured quite a few W124s in it.

The movie is called Elephant White starring Kevin Bacon, and is available for viewing on-line through NetFlix.

Most of the W124s used in the movie used custom rims, but the one that really caught my attention was a multi spoke wheel reminiscent of a old BMW design which really looked good on these cars.

Even though I tend to be a stickler for originality, these wheels looked so good I want to know who makes them. If I were to guess, they appeared to be HRE rims in a 18" size, but the center cap logo doesn't look like HRE. HD TV just doesn't have enough resolution:D

If anybody has a chance to double check this and provide further input, it'd be greatly appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
Here is a pic of the BMW with the correct Alpina wheels I'm thinking of. Fairly sure that Alpina has never made anything for the W124s though, being a dedicated BMW tuner.

The wheels in the movie look similar but with a more updated look.

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
No, the wheels in the movie have a center cap which appears to have a logo that looks similar to the Italian flag.

The CLK63 AMG rims pictured above look similar, in general, but the center portion is different.

I'll stream the movie again onto the TV, but from my Mac server this time. Pause the movie, and zoom in if possible to get more detail.

#31 · (Edited)
Actually, they are Carlsson 1/15. I have owned a set for over 20 years. I ordered them from Carlsson direct. They were on my 88 300Ce first.

And now they are on my C140 CL600.

This is an W140 set, meaning the offset is ET45. They stuck out a bit on the W124, but I didn't care, because I knew I'd own a C140 someday. The W124 offset was ET34, which were actually quite rare. Although there was a set on eBay not to long ago (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mercedes-W124-Carlsson-Alloy-Wheels-18-X-8-5-Amg-Brabus-Etc-/222037197761?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=jTsBvyCAQbxXDFPWm%252Fpp6Dp8wEE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Reactions: Rupununipete
#13 · (Edited)
2phast, I think you nailed it.

I wish the 18" Carlsson rims on my white wagon looked that good, although they are a lot easier to clean than any multispoke design could ever be.

The hunt begins.

While we're on this topic, anybody hear of Carlsson type R rims???

Should look like the rims on the red wagon. Sorry for the low res pic, didn't find any others

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
And one more. Not much is known about the C37, but check out the power rating AND with a manual box!!!

"By the time Mercedes got around to releasing the C36 AMG, Carlsson was still one step ahead. Enlarging the engine another .1 liter, they extracted another 56hp from the inline-6 to end up on good side of 335hp, including the use of individual throttle bodies. There were, according to Carlsson only 5 cars built in the RS series, three of which were C36 RS (290hp), and two units were C37 RS.

One lucky C37 RS owner has revealed that his model came with a 5-speed manual transmission, stainless steel sport exhaust, Lucas 4 piston racing brake system, sport suspension with Bilstein shock absorbers, and an additional oil cooler opening in the RS bumper. Of course, as with all Carlsson models, a full body kit and rear spoiler were fitted. A test in Sport Auto on 10/1995 garnered 0-100 km/h in 6.8 seconds, about as quick as the forthcoming C43 AMG."

Attachments

#24 · (Edited)
Hi Gentlemen,

may i use this old thread to get your attention to my offer in the f/s section here.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sal...63-w164-alloy-rims-carlsson.html#post11440145

Its a set of the rare Carlsson CR 1/12 in 10x18 ET 45 brand new in OEM package. They can be used on the E500 / 500E with spacers.

If you have any doubt as to whether 10" will fit under the fender of a 036 - here's the proof: 10.5" Brabus Monoblock II front and rear.

Roland

#30 ·
Bolt pattern is 5x112. Best max width, without modding the car, is 7.5 front, and 8.5 rear. Although, stick with 7.5 for both so you can rotate tires. Offset of 35-45 is best, although some members run AMG Aero I's with an offset of 28.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.