95 om606 no start, at witts end - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
95 om606 no start, at witts end

i am soooo stumped.

i have inlet fuel pressure, also return fuel. cracked an injector line, and can see a little fuel coming. seems like not much but its hard to tell since i have never seen how much it should be while cranking.

glow plugs are ok, it cranks nice and fast, and we have it 65f yet i get no fire.

what the heck ???

sov maybe. i dont know how that thing works. maybe its stuck somehow in whatever position.
i seem to have the vaccuum operated one and not the electric one like later om606.

can the sov be tested somehow. or maybe my ip is kaputt i sure dont know what else to check.

prior to being completely dead i had issues with it not reving up while giving it some throttle. installed new filter, purged it well and then it ran briefly and now its completely dead. car has 212k miles.

any hints guys............
reinerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moditšt!

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon
Lifetime Premium Member
This is no doubt fuel related. Have you changed out all the o-rings on the fuel junctions to the pump, fuel thermostat, fuel filter, etc? Is the shut-off lever in the up or down position?

Last edited by Zeitgeist; 01-06-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '94 E320 T, '95 E320 T,'95 E300 DIESEL, '95 E250 DIESEL
I agree, most likely fuel related. You said you changed filter, I'll assume fuel or air. There are actually 3 fuel filters in the fuel system. Have you changed them all, especially the one in the fuel tank which is the one that is most commonly neglected??? The main and prefilters need to be changed often, at least every 10K at a minimum.

Also, if you suspect your shut-off valve, I'd get a replacement just to rule that out. The mechanical fuel pump on the side of the injection pump rarely goes bad, but worth diagnosing by removing fuel line at top end of pump and check for spray. Also consider doing a diesel purge (use a search to find out how) using at least 2 cans of LM.

Finally, make sure your glow plug relay is working and heating all 6 plugs. Otherwise, a cold diesel is very hard to start.

Last edited by sbaert; 01-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.
sbaert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
I agree, most likely fuel related. You said you changed filter, I'll assume fuel or air. There are actually 3 fuel filters in the fuel system. Have you changed them all, especially the one in the fuel tank which is the one that is most commonly neglected??? The main and prefilters need to be changed often, at least every 10K at a minimum.

Also, if you suspect your shut-off valve, I'd get a replacement just to rule that out. The mechanical fuel pump on the side of the injection pump rarely goes bad, but worth diagnosing by removing fuel line at top end of pump and check for spray. Also consider doing a diesel purge (use a search to find out how) using at least 2 cans of LM.

Finally, make sure your glow plug relay is working and heating all 6 plugs. Otherwise, a cold diesel is very hard to start.
i could not agree more that it must be fuel related, a diesel getting fuel injected just has to run, there is no other option. and its not like this is a sick motor or anything, at 212 k miles there is no visible blow by whatsoever.

yes filters are all new. i do have an electric lift pump running at 10 psi and i do have plenty of fuel entering the ip, removed fittings at the filter housing. also i can see that i have return fuel coming out of the ip.
glow plugs are good as well, even heated the engine this morning with a heater to make sure, it was still a no go. and we had it at 65 f here in florida.

in a while when my neighbor is home i again want to check how much fuel arrives at the injector. i initially thought i had none, but this morning i put a clean t shirt underneath and i have a little coming out. its just i could not see how much with my own eyes.

so i will post later on my findings.................

oh my sov is purely vac operated, its not like the older ones which had a lever on top of it all. also all my delivery valves etc are upgraded to viton.

Last edited by reinerh; 01-06-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

When you replaced the delivery valve seals, did you torque the injector line fittings to factory spec???

If not, you could have warped the injection pump which can lead to a internal seize up condition.

I've had my main feed line pop off the mechanical pump and the car still ran even with the line barely sitting on top of the pump connection. Is there a reason you are running a aux. electric pump???

Maybe you got algae fuel contamination in the tank, since you do live in a hot & humid climate. Pull the tank strainer and check for black spots and/or sludge.

Another thing to check is the engine wiring harness. If you still got the original type, it's probably self-destructed itself to death causing internal shorts. I have a low mileage (50K) replacement harness that is still serviceable if you need it. Cheaper than getting a new one and will buy you quite a bit of time.

Last edited by sbaert; 01-06-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

ok, neighbor came he cranked it i had injector #1 line removed

while cranking not a drop came out.

so its not getting any fuel even so i have fuel pressure going into the ip, and i have return flow.

sov then maybe ?? how does that vaccuum operated work. does anybody know.

with vac applied its cut of i presume, no vac running.
then maybe i could slide a hose over it and slightly pressurise it and see if that helps.

maybe this thing is stuck or something, or i have a dead ip,
Old 01-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
When you replaced the delivery valve seals, did you torque the injector line fittings to factory spec???

If not, you could have warped the injection pump which can lead to a internal seize up condition.

I've had my main feed line pop off the mechanical pump and the car still ran even with the line barely sitting on top of the pump connection. Is there a reason you are running a aux. electric pump???

Maybe you got algae fuel contamination in the tank, since you do live in a hot & humid climate. Pull the tank strainer and check for black spots and/or sludge.

Another thing to check is the engine wiring harness. If you still got the original type, it's probably self-destructed itself to death causing internal shorts. I have a low mileage (50K) replacement harness that is still serviceable if you need it. Cheaper than getting a new one and will buy you quite a bit of time.
i might get back to you on the harness, yes i do have the original one and its bad.....

my electric pump i run on the diesel side as well as on the veggie side. gee wizz maybe veggie is a bad as they say

since i changed out the seals the car has run at least 30k miles just fine. leading up to this was bad throttle response, and i discovered i had a bad filter due to a faulty pressure gage indicating plenty of pressure when in fact i had very little. car ran great top speed but as i said a little odd throttle resonse.

but now no fuel whatsoever arrives at the injector.

i will get me some vac line so i can test my sov, maybe its stuck.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Moditšt!

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon
Lifetime Premium Member
I can't remember whether the 606 engines in these cars have a shut-off valve arm on them. If they do, the arm should be in the up position when you're cranking or running the car. You can try holding it in the up position while cranking to see if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
95 om606 no start, at witts end-603_pump_01.jpg  
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

I've seen several W124 diesels go bad with veggie oil, especially the '95 OM606. The last one I worked on was exact same scenario. Ran veggie oil for about 45K miles and then the injection pump self-destructed (internal camshaft failure).

I keep telling people if you want to run veggie oil, get a W116, W126, W123 car with a OM617 diesel engine. Indestructible, unless you pour sand in the crankcase.

There is no shut-off arm on the OM606 IP. There is only the fuel shut-off knob on top of the main fuel canister.

Last edited by sbaert; 01-06-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
I've seen several W124 diesels go bad with veggie oil, especially the '95 OM606. The last one I worked on was exact same scenario. Ran veggie oil for about 45K miles and then the injection pump self-destructed (internal camshaft failure).

I keep telling people if you want to run veggie oil, get a W116, W126, W123 car with a OM617 diesel engine. Indestructible, unless you pour sand in the crankcase.

There is no shut-off arm on the OM606 IP. There is only the fuel shut-off knob on top of the main fuel canister.
wow you have seen 95 om 606 ips go kaputt, and here i thought all bosch inline pumps are bulletproof, so maybe mine is dead then.

but what is the significant difference to an om617 ip, arent they both inline bosch ips, meaning pretty much the same design ???

and if the internal cam were to fail would it not run on like at least one cylinder. i do not exactly know how these inline ips work, but i thought there is a little piston going up, one for each cylinder, so total 6. so all failing i have a hard time seeing that, but i since i do not know exactly how they work who knows.

yes mine does not have a shut of arm like the earlier ones, only the vac operated one.

i guess the sov is my last chance then, if thats not it it must be the ip, argg.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class