Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

'95 E 320 electrical problem

657 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sbaert 
#1 ·
I'm a new member picking up in the middle of a thread I followed earlier. My turn signals & intermittent wiper setting were kaput. Advice from the thread lead me to a broken circuit in the relay(#123 821 00 47). I resoldered the relay, drove 10 blocks and big surprise, the relay circuit is broken right where I repaired it. Any ideas? Bad soldering job? Internal problem in relay circuitry? Problem in one of circuits that travels through this relay? Aliens?

#2 ·
Perhaps broken turn signal stalk causing a short in the relay??? Mine is busted too, high beams no longer work. Plastic piece in the stalk base broke.

Not replacing mine unless something else goes because removing the steering wheel is a bear of a job and I am afraid to round out the hex nut holding the wheel to the column.

I have a new stalk for sale if you're interested.

#3 ·
Thanks for the response. How did you determine your turn signal stock was broken? Definitely trying to avoid steering wheel removal too. My next step is to find what else goes through that relay in the hopes it might be caused by something simpler than removing the steering wheel.

#4 · (Edited)
I used to have high beams up until a couple of years when I heard a crunch noise while going from lows to highs (or the other way around). Anyway, since then I have to pull back & hold the stalk to get high beams to come on. I did find a little white broken plastic piece (about the size of a toothpick) on the driver floor mat and figured that had to come from the stalk.

If you push forward on the stalk, low beams go off and high beams never come on.

It's a pretty common item to let go, but the W210s seem to be most affected by it, followed by the W124s. My W116 and former W126 & W123 never had this issue. This link w/ pics will give you an idea what the job entails http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/W210LooseTurnSignal

Maybe your issue is a short within the stalk (due to the biodegradable wiring) causing the relay to burn out???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.