Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Electrically adjustable steering column & mystery component

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Fish 
#1 ·
had to replace the switch on the electronically adjustable steering column on 1995 E320 Estate. Car has power seats but does not have seat memory. The part number listed in the EPC is wrong and the correct part is far more complicated than the part listed as being correct. By the way, the correct part is NLA...So I had to do a little internal switch repair (keeping my fingers crossed). It was an absolute pain to remove and re-install the connector from the switch's wiring harness to the connector on the motor (skinned knuckles on each hand).

Has anyone else had this issue? I called Rusty and he researched and the part number on the side of the correct switch comes up as obsolete and NLA. The normal one for power seats with memory is far simpler and has fewer connections. I can give parts numbers if anyone is interested.

Also, I found this mysterious silver box underneath the dashboard while doing the switch replacement. See attached photo. Can anyone tell me what this box is and/or what it does? It looks like a James Bond-type device and I'm afraid to touch it.

--B&b

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Mystery Box

B&b, I believe the mystery box is the "Tempomat" or cruise control unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.