Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I am a Mercedes owner again!

502 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Zeitgeist 
#1 ·
I just got back from a 10 hour car ride to pick up my 87' 300d this morning. I picked up the car yesterday and drove to Nashville to pick up a clean 87 300d with 244k on it, southern car with no rust, decent interior and only a couple of minor mechanical flaws. Price was $2,500. I was really surprised on the performance of this car. I had previosly owned a 190d and a 210 chassis 300 non turbo, and this thing really hauls the mail, and I got 33 mpg on the highway for the 600 mile drive home, (although the wife's Jetta TDI got 52 mpg). I have 2 complaints, #1 is the seat base is badly worn and I had the sensation of falling forward while I was driving. #2 is the fuel gage always read 1/3 tank. Any suggestions?comments are always appreciated.

#2 ·
#1: Due to the age, you will probably need new padding as the old horsehair stuff has given up the ghost long after the german niece of mustang sally went to the glue factory. I think the replacement pads are made from foam these days.

#2: Fuel tank sender unit is probably out.

#3 ·
If you felt like you were falling forward, then it's possible that the seat bottom wasn't tilting back far enough. This could very well be due to a dirty switch in the door. Use the search feature to find threads that walk you through the process to clean these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.