Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help - Rust found on C124

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Sherman321 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

After washing my car, I noticed there was rust where the door is.

I attached pictures. Could someone tell me if this is common, if this may hide a bigger problem underneath, and how urgent is it to get fixed. The car is otherwise rust free underneath it. Cladding was never taken off so I am not sure what is going on behind there, and around the holes for the jack there is some orange color which looks like trace amounts of surface rust.

Any help is greatly appreciated

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah its rust alright, look at the bubbling. There is water pooling behind there somehow, not sure how though. Maybe a clogged drain? I am not really familiar with the drainage system on the hard top.

I wouldn't wait too long to take care of it. I have some rust on the corner of one of my tail lights and at the trunk lock.

I wish these cars were more resistant to rust.

#5 ·
I am surprised to see this as there is no other rust on the car.
The muffler has a tiny bit of surface rust at the welds, and like I mentioned some rust colored traces around the jacking holes.
The car is never exposed to rain. It is garaged and not driven in rainy days.

Both passenger and drivers side have this problem

#6 ·
I'd imagine it's because you live on an island. The air near sea water has salt in it and will always manage to cause some rust unless extreme measures are taken. We had this problem back home, even if you had a car garaged all winter and just drove it during the summer rust would eventually appear on any exposed metal.

I am surprised that it's that bad though and in that location on the car. Hard to tell without getting a look at the inside.

#9 ·
The island is small enough that you can probably never fully escape the effects of the salt air.

Since it's on a pillar and will spread i'd take care of it quickly. At least within the next 6 months. I agree that it looks like water has run down behind that bead of sealant looking stuff. It's probably only surface, but you will only know when you check. Best not to wait and let it progress.

#8 · (Edited)
Is that seam sealant running down the fold in the metal?

If so it could be as simple as moisture being trapped between the failed sealant and the metal.

Bring it to a body shop get them to take it back and see if it's just surface stuff. My bets are it's only superficial stuff if there is no other rot on the car and your haven't a wet trunk area.

Either way it's better sorted out sooner rather than later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.