Thinking about purchasing a 1995 E300D - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1995 E300D W124
Location: Versailles, KY
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thinking about purchasing a 1995 E300D

I always like to purchase things that are worth my dollar and I've heard this car is awesome. Things like: its a tank, doesn't die, drives smooth, great fuel mileage and so on. What I need and would like from you is your all's input. Is it really a tank (meaning unkillable)? Is it reliable? What is the average fuel mileage? How does it ride? What kind of maintenance does it require? and How often? And then just your personal thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to hearing for you guys.
crazirussian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
HEREFORDZONE's Avatar
 
Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 95 E300D, '92 300TE 4MATIC, '03 C240 4matic Wagon
Location: Monkton, Maryland
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
448,000 miles, 33MPG. I change the oil every 5000 miles. Replaced just about everything at some time or another. Still rides great, I drive 150 miles/day. It is a tank!
HEREFORDZONE is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1995 E300D W124
Location: Versailles, KY
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1995 Mercedes-Benz E300D

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEREFORDZONE View Post
448,000 miles, 33MPG. I change the oil every 5000 miles. Replaced just about everything at some time or another. Still rides great, I drive 150 miles/day. It is a tank!
awesome, thanks. any upgrades or performance add ons?
crazirussian is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 01:27 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
sbaert's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Location: San Diego/USA & Belgium/Europe
Posts: 12,957
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
I second the earlier post. I've had mine for about 2.5 years now. Bought it with 48K on the clock. Now it is at 70K, and it is rock solid once the usual age related issues are sorted such as glow plugs, fuel lines, wiring harness, steering & suspension, etc.

I get high 30s MPG. Range about 750mi with highway speeds, once even close to 800mi. Low fuel light comes on at 700 and I go for about another 50 miles before refilling.

I replaced my injection pump with a Euro spec OM603 pump and I run a custom fuel blend of high-sulfur diesel & jet fuel. The tail pipe smells more like a turboprop plane than a car.

Also removed the oxidation catalyst and got a noticeable performance boost. The car gets it best mileage & comes alive at 75MPH.

The hardest part is finding a nice example. The nicest ones are expensive, but well worth it in the long run if you are in the market for a W124 diesel.

Last edited by sbaert; 10-13-2010 at 01:30 PM.
sbaert is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1995 E300D W124
Location: Versailles, KY
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'95 E300D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
I second the earlier post. I've had mine for about 2.5 years now. Bought it with 48K on the clock. Now it is at 70K, and it is rock solid once the usual age related issues are sorted such as glow plugs, fuel lines, wiring harness, steering & suspension, etc.

I get high 30s MPG. Range about 750mi with highway speeds, once even close to 800mi. Low fuel light comes on at 700 and I go for about another 50 miles before refilling.

I replaced my injection pump with a Euro spec OM603 pump and I run a custom fuel blend of high-sulfur diesel & jet fuel. The tail pipe smells more like a turboprop plane than a car.

Also removed the oxidation catalyst and got a noticeable performance boost. The car gets it best mileage & comes alive at 75MPH.

The hardest part is finding a nice example. The nicest ones are expensive, but well worth it in the long run if you are in the market for a W124 diesel.
Thanks a lot. I'm looking at one that has 85k miles on it. It was wrecked before, way back in '97. History report says severe front damage with blown airbags. But i figure since it is certified, has been running fine for 13 years and still has a clean title then it is safe. Especially since it is in tip top condition. So does anyone have ideas on what a reasonable price other than what KBB says.
crazirussian is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 1982 300D
Location: Screwston, TX
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I paid $3500 for mine with 238k on the clock and most of the suspension wear parts needing replacement. It's now got 245k and no breakdowns or maintenance other than replacing worn suspension parts. It's a tank, all right. And when you hit a smooth patch of highway at about 80, it's like riding a cloud.

1982 300D, blue repaint over Astralsilber
okto is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1995 E300D W124
Location: Versailles, KY
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'95 E300D

Quote:
Originally Posted by okto View Post
I paid $3500 for mine with 238k on the clock and most of the suspension wear parts needing replacement. It's now got 245k and no breakdowns or maintenance other than replacing worn suspension parts. It's a tank, all right. And when you hit a smooth patch of highway at about 80, it's like riding a cloud.
Very nice. I like what i hear so far.
crazirussian is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
sbaert's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Location: San Diego/USA & Belgium/Europe
Posts: 12,957
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazirussian View Post
Thanks a lot. I'm looking at one that has 85k miles on it. It was wrecked before, way back in '97. History report says severe front damage with blown airbags. But i figure since it is certified, has been running fine for 13 years and still has a clean title then it is safe. Especially since it is in tip top condition. So does anyone have ideas on what a reasonable price other than what KBB says.
Try to find out how much damage was done & who did what repairs. I'd be really skeptical of any vehicle that has major front end damage. Depending on the extent of the damage, some suspension & steering components may never be able to go back to factory spec. In a major front end collission, make sure you pay extra to a 3rd party vehicle inspector to go over the whole car with a toothcomb to give you the real story. Don't get emotionally attached until you've been told that it's worth signing for.

At this point, the only thing that's certified is that it was involved in a major collission. If there is/was frame damage, the car should have been totaled out by the insurance company. In other words, there is no such thing as a replacement frame. At a minimum, the front end suspension & steering probably got damaged and should have been replaced. So make sure at least that work got done.
sbaert is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
 
Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1995 E300D W124
Location: Versailles, KY
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaert View Post
Try to find out how much damage was done & who did what repairs. I'd be really skeptical of any vehicle that has major front end damage. Depending on the extent of the damage, some suspension & steering components may never be able to go back to factory spec. In a major front end collission, make sure you pay extra to a 3rd party vehicle inspector to go over the whole car with a toothcomb to give you the real story. Don't get emotionally attached until you've been told that it's worth signing for.

At this point, the only thing that's certified is that it was involved in a major collission. If there is/was frame damage, the car should have been totaled out by the insurance company. In other words, there is no such thing as a replacement frame. At a minimum, the front end suspension & steering probably got damaged and should have been replaced. So make sure at least that work got done.
I fix vehicles that have been salvaged by insurance companies and have had frame damage, so i know my way around damaged cars and this one was a high quality fix. If it had been a bad fix the car would have had problems within 5 years and wouldn't be running today. So the point is that i am very confident in the integrity of the car.
crazirussian is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
sbaert's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: '95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
Location: San Diego/USA & Belgium/Europe
Posts: 12,957
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
The car already gave up its life once to protect its occupants, as the MB engineers intended. It can't be expected to do the same again, no matter how good the repair job may have been.

Unlike a Hollywood action movie where the hero dies at the end & somehow gets re-incarnated a couple of years later, cars are simply not designed that way. You cannot recycle/fix crumple zones. It's a safety issue, and hence the reason why insurance companies won't repair any vehicle that has sustained frame damage.

My life is worth far more than any vehicle could be, so I will never buy or drive a car that has sustained frame damage.

Last edited by sbaert; 10-15-2010 at 03:08 PM.
sbaert is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











  • Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
     
    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page
    Display Modes
    Linear Mode Linear Mode



    Similar Threads
    Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
    1995 e300d Vs 1995 e300d -buyers guide nrwhite W124 E,CE,D,TD Class 4 05-07-2010 12:39 PM
    Thinking of Purchasing these rims? SCML430 W163 M-Class 8 03-24-2006 06:57 AM
    Thinking of purchasing this ? hyprr1 W201 190-Class 3 02-13-2006 12:44 PM
    Thinking about purchasing a used C32 RBMBC32 W203 C32 AMG, C55 AMG 1 08-21-2005 03:34 PM
    Thinking about purchasing an SLK230 CarolM R170 SLK-Class 7 07-13-2002 02:42 PM

    Posting Rules  
    You may post new threads
    You may post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are On
    Pingbacks are On
    Refbacks are On

     

    Title goes here

    close
    video goes here
    description goes here. Read Full Story
    For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome