Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

94 E420 code 19 no start problem!!!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  deanyel 
#1 ·
:help:

hey everyone!

Ok so like my title says its a 94 e420 with a code 19 and actually code 20. My reader says 19 is the injector circuits and 20 is a speed sensor i think. The problem with the car is that when you crank it, it takes a loooooooong to the start and it sounds like its gunna die bu sometimes it starts and it runs like shit. plus theres white smoke coming out the tail pipe...(leaky fuel injectors maybe?) and it is very rich smelling, i.e. will NOT pass smog.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem before?

Does anyone have any tips for me? i put noid lights on all the injectors and the circuits work but on some of them it takes a few seconds before it starts to flash...i also took the injectors out and it didnt look like any of them were leaking. maybe fuel regulator? the fuel pump works. im kinda stumped. tips?

Thank you!

#2 ·
Are you losing coolant, because white smoke is a sign of water in exhaust. First stab would be a bad head gasket. Other ideas along those lines is also a crack in the head or block. But check coolant lvl, and watch it everyday for it to go down and or oil mixing with water and checking oil to make sure theres not water in it.

When you say rich, I hope you are not smelling a sweet smell, for that would be for sure water and coolant. But do check on that code and clear it out, then start the car again to make sure it comes back.

#4 ·
i have a snap on modis and i have the circle connector that plugs in and i can access the codes through there not the 16 pin connector with the LED.

its not a sweet smell its raw fuel i smell and i figured out part of the problem haha its stupid...i got spark plugs from the dealer and they told me to gap them at .032. when i got them they were at .038, go i gapped them to that spec and installed them. i called pep boys, napa, kragen, they all had the same spec. so just for kicks i took them out and put them back to .038 and VOILA! it starts immediately but it still runs like shit and the engine shakes like crazy. so that was the cause of the raw fuel smell and the FOULED spark plugs...they were almost black lol:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.