Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

It begins! 88 300te restoration to glory

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Fuzzydog 
#1 ·
Last week I picked up this car (my first foray into MB territory) and so far I can truly appreciate the engineering that goes into these. My previous addiction was Audi 5000 turbo quattros, but I think I'll be rocking the benz for a while.
I have spent the weekend reading this forum and getting up to speed on a lot of the little things that need to be done, and some of the larger things too. For the most part there are already some great write ups on this site for doing those things so I'll try not to clutter up the forum with questions that have been asked and answered a million times.

One curious thing that I see though is that there is an electric water pump on the passenger side frame rail, in the engine compartment. My turbo Audi's had this to circulate coolant after shut down, but this Benz is not a turbo. What is the purpose of this pump?

#3 ·
Thank you Jayare - definitely over-the-top engineering, but certainly going to be appreciated during the cold Northern BC winters.

#4 ·
If/when that little pump croaks you'll definitely know it -- heater output drops drastically at idle and low road speeds.
What colors is your TE? My 2 88s are white over burgundy and smoke silver over mushroom. I intend to do an interior switcheroo this summer and add heated seats to the burgundy interior car.
BTW, you'd really appreciate the heated seats up there in the Great White North.

#5 ·
My TE is white with a tan MB TEX interior. I wasn't being too fussy about this car, my first MB, but when I upgrade I'll probably look for more of the options such as heated seats, leather. This one was bought with very little thought. I knew I wanted a 300, or even a 190 of that vintage, and when this one came up I jumped on it.

I imagine that if (when?) that pump dies, I could remove it if I don't want to pay the bill for a replacement and then the heating system would act like any other vehicle? or would it actually be worse?

I was never too enthusiastic about the heated seats in the Audi, but the wife and kids sure liked them. Not surprising though, as I am the one who had to fix them all the time.

#8 ·
Absolutely - I am pretty sure I'll be driving classic Benz's (Benzi?) for many years to come. Definitely looking forward to the upgrade to a 24v engine for starters. I'll be getting some pics up shortly - too many things on the go at present.

#7 ·
300te rear suspension

Hello!I own an 89 300te,I had to replace the air cells for the rear suspension,the suspension is working perfectly now but I have a noise inside the car what is increasing whit the rpm I also replaced the pressure hose from the power steering pump to the rear suspension and I put wrong hydraulic oil in to it,later the fluid been replaced whit the right one(flashed the system) but the noise was still there ,if somebody can help me whit my problem would make my happy at last thanks::confused:

#9 ·
89300te - wish I could offer some helpful advice but my suspension is working fine and I haven't educated myself on it's workings yet. Good luck in your search for info, this is an excellent forum for learning about these cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.