Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Low Speed Hesitation

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  chazguernsey 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I have been experiencing an issue for a while now, and wanted to run it past you experts for any input you might have :)

At anything from say 30mph up, the motor runs fine, hot or cold, but when I have stopped at traffic lights, and move away when they turn to green, the engine almost seems to hesitate and "miss". I have found the best way to stop this, is to floor the throttle, and this seems to get me through the problem, but in the wet, that can be fun when the rear wheel starts spinning (I am not a Boy racer LOL).

I have changed plugs, and looked at HT wires, which seem to have been replaced recently (I purchased about 18 months ago). I had a fuel leak at the fuel pump, which I have recently repaired, and have ordered a new replacement hose (banjo union to screw fitting), but I do not think this is the problem.

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated, as I do not want to throw money at a problem that could be anything (fuel or electrical?).

Thanks in advance

Charles

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Jayare

Did a search, and found a posting you had made to another member of the forum :)

You mentioned in that replay that you went 1/2 turn CCW to lean the mixture off, would you suggest my problem to be it running too rich at the moment also?

Thanks for any assistance

Charles

PS, may make the trip to Titusville next weekend if I can get away from work!

#4 ·
More than likely, your car is running rich. I suspect that when it is cold, it runs fine but once warmed up, becomes sluggish. Go 1/2 turn CCW and see if that makes a difference. Do this when the car is up to operating temperature.

Hope to see you on Saturday. I'll be driving my white 300CE

Jayare

#5 ·
Quick follow up for Jayare.
I have done the 1/2 turn, and it has helped a lot, but still has a slight hiccup at idle possibly every 10 seconds or so, and hesitates probably 10% as often as it was doing.

What would the consequences be if I continue to lean off the mixture? I don't want to do any engine damage by overheating a piston or the likes :(

Thanks again for you help, it is much appreciated..!!!!

Charles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.