Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Center console fading and craking out

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Zeitgeist 
#1 ·
Hey, the center console of my 300CE 1989 is fading out and cracking. The car is almost as old as me so I am not to picky on the fact it components took a little beating.

I was just wondering if there would be any way to give it back its glory days when she looked young and beautiful, is it possible to revarnish the central console?

While where in the subject anyone knows where i could find a black armrest, mine dint come with any :(

cheers every one.

#2 ·
Try a wrecking yard that has old MB's thats where i got mine you can go to a dealership but thats usually big bucks since its real wood. If you want to redo the wood better send it to someone to color match it to the rest of the car or it will look crazy multicolored.

If you dont have the holes in the drivers seat for an armrest you have to find a replacement seat with an armrest on it.

#3 ·
That is your patina and you know what the antique experts say about original finishes. The wood is probably in perfect condition as it is thick. They probably should have put a better sealer on the underside, but the hairline cracks are just the wood finish. If you decide to replace then there are different configurations even though they look identical from the top. Some may have a plastic switch holder attached to underside and switches come out with the wood. Others may have only holes cut and the switches stay put when the wood is removed.

#4 ·
Give Drew a call... he is going to do mine for $155...complete refinishing to "like-new".

BTW, he was referred to me by Tom Hanson at the MBUSA Classic Center! Can't get a better referral than that!

Home Page

#8 ·
Okay, so i found this glove box in acceptable shape on ebay. The owner claims it is from a
Late 1991 through 95 model (w124 of course)
I just wanted to be sure if it could fit in my 1989.

Any toughs anyone?
thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.