Automatic transmission rebuild - can I do this myself? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: '86 300E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren_benz View Post
Hi there gimpster!
You're welcome.
All the best on the tranny operation if it pushes through.
Can you document the procedure for us?
Video or pictures would be great!
Cheers mate!
If I end up doing it myself, then I'll definitely put together a DIY. I've found so much helpful information and tutorials on here, it's the least I could do to give back to the community.

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1988 260E US version, 1992 200TE Euro version
Location: from the beautiful Philippines to the Middle East and beyond!
Pictures of A/T parts for the rebuild

Hi Gimpster (Ryan),
I just got my transmission from the mechanic.
I saw a portion of procedure. Looks doable (self rebuild) after a few more observation.
Im sharing the picts of the parts that were replaced. I wasnt able to video the procedure though.
How's the rebuild going?
Cheers.

BRAKE BAND

SEALS

CLUCTHES

260E - '88 US version (W124)
200E - '92 Euro version (S124)
#13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:17 AM

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: ...
What's the worst that could happen? If you screw it up or chicken out, you can always package it back up and use it as a core trade in for a rebuilt unit. I'd just make sure that the car is parked somewhere where a tow truck could get to it if needed! Good luck...
#14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Joe View Post
What's the worst that could happen? If you screw it up or chicken out, you can always package it back up and use it as a core trade in for a rebuilt unit.
That's sort of been my driving philosophy this whole time. I mean the transmission has to be torn apart by *somebody*...so what if I did it for them?

darren: thanks for the pictures. It reaffirms what I was expecting to see inside. I haven't made much progress on it recently. Work has been kicking my ass lately (talking 60+ hour weeks) so I haven't had much time to do anything with the car. In fact, I just received a nice, big box of other parts from Autohaus AZ on Friday (ignition stuff mostly) that still needs to be put on the car as well. But I did get the ATSG manual for the transmission ordered. It hasn't arrived yet but when it does I'm going to thumb through it and as long as nothing jumps out at me as being particularly scary or improbable for my skill level, then I'm going to get the parts ordered after my next paycheck and begin the process, probably in about 2 weeks once work has slowed down some. I've been doing lots of reading about DIY transmission rebuilds on the net and found a few other DIY walkthroughs for other transmissions (both manual and automatic). So far, it's looking like a long & fiddly, but fairly straight-forward job.

Here are some links I've come across in my research:

Talking about DIY rebuild of 722.3 transmission:
Mercedes Transmission rebuild Video? - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

Video showing all the internals and how they work together in an automatic transmission (it's a Ford transmission, but the technology is the same):

After watching these videos, I'm feeling pretty confident this is DIY-able. I might need to procure a spring compressor to remove some of the internal components but I'll know for sure when I get the manual. Other than that, I'm not really seeing a lot of specialized equipment other than the need for quality torque wrenches, some feeler gauges, a lot of patience and meticulous attention to detail.

-Ryan
#15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 93 400E, 95 320TE, 98 S500
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Gimpster

Just curious.....what has been the most challenging DIY job you've done in the past?

Jayare
#16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayare View Post
Gimpster

Just curious.....what has been the most challenging DIY job you've done in the past?

Jayare
That's a good question. I'm not really sure how to determine the most difficult one, but here's what I would consider the top 5:
  • Replaced all of the springs/shocks on '00 Civic Si
  • Stripped a '00 Civic Si down to all its components after totalling it (including engine and interior removal)
  • R&R the transmission on a '72 240Z
  • Removed the seats, door panels, headliner and every piece of trim in an '02 WRX, covered everything with Dynamat, then replaced all the interior in preparation for a big stereo install.
  • Installed SS brake lines, frame sliders, R&R drive chain/sprockets on '06 GSX-R 600 motorcycle.

-Ryan
#17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 93 400E, 95 320TE, 98 S500
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Based on what you've outlined as your experiences, I would strongly suggest you back away from the idea that you can pull, disassemble, re-build and re-install a Mercedes automatic transmission.

This is not a job for a novice. Nothing you've done comes close to taking on a job like this, much less the tools needed to do it.

Save yourself time and money in the long run and have this job done by someone experienced in MB transmissions. Another way to approach this would be to purchase an remanufactured unit, send in your old one for the core charge and then you'd only be dealing with the R/R part, which isn't easy at all.

Good Luck,

Jayare
#18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm not trying to be confrontational or anything, it's just that I don't know what sort of experience you're speaking from when you make that recommendation. Have you done transmission work before?

-Ryan
#19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Modität!

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
If I may...this is a pretty intense project. If this is your daily driver and you rely upon it for critical transport, this probably isn't a good project with which to experiment. But, if you've got time and the patience to sort through all the details, then this could be interesting. Personally, I'd love to see you take this on and document your progress for all of our benefit.
#20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1988 300TE, 2002 CLK320
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Aw shucks you guys don't like challenges??

I have my 722.3 out on my bench right now. I am not "rebuilding" it exactly, but I have it mostly apart and replaced the B3 disks as they were worn (not the reason I removed though...took it off due to major leaks). I got plenty of pics here. The hardest part of the removal is reaching the very top tranny-engine bolt.

300TE Transmission removal DIY - MBWorld.org Forums

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class