Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SRS light on after unplugging Becker alarm

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jayare 
#1 ·
So I finally convinced my wife to drive the Mercedes to work and she calls me on the way home saying that all the lights are flashing on the car WHILE she is driving. She's not impressed.

OK, hmm, I replaced the stereo as the Becker tape deck was inoperable. I did a search and found out about the alarm system. Why this didn't present itself earlier I have no idea. So I unplug the becker module under the passenger foot rest and figure I have it solved. I did not test drive the car.

Next morning I get a call from my wife on the way to work and she says the SRS light is on. I tell her to bring it back just to be safe. I send her off in the Honda.

So I reconnect the Becker alarm just to please my curiosity and the SRS light does not go out. It stays on as long as the key is in the run position.

I have checked all the fuses (inspection and wiggling) and nothing seems to be amiss. I now have the battery unplugged to reset the error (need to wait 1/2 hr), but without finding the issue I am afraid this will not solve the problem.

I installed new more powerful headlights (2 days ago). Could the increased current draw while running be straining an alternator (or brushes) that is on the way out?

I haven't turned up anything concrete as the SRS system seems to have a nebulous connection to just about everything on the car!!

I have checked seatbelts, steering wheel, fuses, .... any thoughts?:confused:

See less See more
#2 ·
OK I fixed it. I retraced my steps and it turns out a plug had dislodged from an SRS control unit mounted on the wheel well side of the passenger foot area. I plugged it back in and all is well. It must have come off as I removed the plastic trim to get at the Becker alarm module.

Sorry to waste everyone's time with that post.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.