#1 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:33 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1987 300D
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300D ignition switch/tumbler/key trouble.

Well, last week my dad went to start my car, and there's two different keys; one for the door and one for the ignition. He put the key for the door in the ignition and the ignition switch broke. Now, we got a new switch/tumbler and original key from the dealership, but we can't seem to remove the old ignition switch. We can turn the front cover enough to put the two small pins in, but beyond that we can't do anything. So is there any way we can fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 86 190E 2.3L 16V, 93 400E, 95 320TE, 98 S500
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The ignition switch must be in the "on" position to remove the locking ring. Do all you can to get this step accomplished, otherwise it is truly a pain to get the lock assembly out. Sounds like some previous owner replaced the switch as you shouldn't have different keys for the doors and ignition.

Use the search function for more on this subject. There are many threads about it.

Good Luck,

Jayare
#3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 1982 Mercedes Benz 240D
I had the same exact trouble but unfortunately once that tumbler breaks your out of luck for getting it into the "on" position. I ended up taking a drill bit and drilling out the lock cylinder to use a screw driver and manually turn it to the "on" position. However instead of spending all that money on a Mercedes replacement I used a universal key and switch from Advance auto for $8. You can also use a early 70's datsun pickup key and switch you just have to look in a repair manual for the datsun for the wiring diagram of the ignition switch.

If you decide to go that route I can supply you with my wiring schematic for the mercedes side of things. And be warned that metel in the cylinder is incredibly hard. I burned up my first bit and ruined the second.

“If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut”
― Albert Einstein
#4 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
What do you mean by ignition switch broke? Is the key stuck in the ignition and won't turn?

I would try jiggling the key fore and aft (raking the tumblers) while turning it to the ON position. After all, your ignition lock and key ahve probably developed slop so try using it to your advantage. That's essentially how locks are picked. If you can get the key out it might be possible to get a locksmith to get it to the on position.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 89 300E
Drilling the Lock Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sypherz28 View Post
I had the same exact trouble but unfortunately once that tumbler breaks your out of luck for getting it into the "on" position. I ended up taking a drill bit and drilling out the lock cylinder to use a screw driver and manually turn it to the "on" position. However instead of spending all that money on a Mercedes replacement I used a universal key and switch from Advance auto for $8. You can also use a early 70's datsun pickup key and switch you just have to look in a repair manual for the datsun for the wiring diagram of the ignition switch.

If you decide to go that route I can supply you with my wiring schematic for the mercedes side of things. And be warned that metel in the cylinder is incredibly hard. I burned up my first bit and ruined the second.
I'm out of luck trying to get my tumbler out. I can't get mine to turn to the ON position, so I tried drilling with some small bits and burned two them so far. I then used flat screw driver and broke loose the outermost disk. I can turn spin the outermost disk freely so I can fit the coat hanger tool in. However, the tumbler won't come out. I filed the tips of the tool as described in some other posts. Do do think I have to drill the crap out of it so that all the things inside move to the ON position and not just the outermost disk?

For drilling, what size of bits do you use? I only tried size 1/8". Do I need to use much bigger bits?

Thanks...
#6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 92 300TE, 93 190E 2.6, 86 190E 2.3-16, 97 C280, 01 E320 Wagon
Hello, I'm dealing with the same problem; can't turn the key to pos 1. I bought a new tumbler/key from MB ($135) hoping that the new key would allow me to get it to pos1 and then change the tumbler...but no luck..

I have done this several times with both the 190E and 300E cars, its very easy IF you can can get the key to pos1....Because I can't, I am moving on to plan 'B', force the tumbler out, which sounds like what you are trying to do..

Have you succeeded? any advice or suggestions?

A few comments towards earlier ones:
-any time I have had a sticking key, a new tumbler has always fixed it. I have never had to change any other part of the Ignition switch assembly..
-you can buy the tumbler/key from Mercedes and it will match the door locks, but you need proof of ownership; price $135. or get the assemble OEM from e-bay for $35...but you will have 2 different keys, one for ignition one for doors
-not sure why you had problems popping the tumbler out if you were able to spin that outer ring and access the holes....i do no I gotta jiggle it a bit and try a couple of times then it comes out..

please update your post
#7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 500 SL 1984
Premium Member
Post ----Ignition is in Lock Position---300 D 1982-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by sypherz28 View Post

Dear Sir:

I have a question about this subject. What size drill did you use to drill-out and remove the lock?
#8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 92 400E, 95 S500,91 300TE practically stole it, 97 V10 Ford E350 to tow them home from time to time
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You'll want to use a 1/4 to 3/8 bit, don't go too deep or you'll damage the rest of the ignition mechanism. Go slow or the bit will overheat and snap. Remove the bit from the cylinder often and spray it with wd40. Get decent bits, the cheap ones go dull in 2 revolutions. Good luck.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2011
I'm having the same problem...

any details on drill bit positioning? should i set it in the center of the cylinder or what..

PLEASE HELP

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.