Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Auto Transmission Shift Question

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Clarkz71 
#1 ·
I assume it's normal, my 300E always takes off in 2nd gear unless I really floor it and it will move a few feet in 2nd then downshift to 1st.

What I would like to know is if there is any way to make it always take off in first from a stop.

#2 ·
As I recall there is a shift kit that was available from a company that (I think) went out of business that would convert your transmission to make it start in 1st gear all the time.

If you have a competent transmission mechanic you can also switch the location of a spring on one of the valves in the transmission. I dont remember which one. But as I recall, if you place the spring before the valve instead of after (or vice versa) it wii accomplish the same thing.

Do a search.

#3 ·
If you put your gear selector down into the "2" at every stop, then place it back in "D", the car will start in 1st. It's a short gear. Read your owners manual about the different options you have with the transmission.... there are several variables you can play with.

Good Luck,

Jayare

#4 ·
Surf the 126 forum to see a few different ways around the second-gear start.

There's one you can wire up so it's up to you when it starts in first or not.

If you think it's annoying with your 124...try the same thing in a 4K+ lb. monster powered by 'only' a 4.2L.

#12 ·
I think it was a dumb thing to do to a "high end" vehicle, it allows compacts and even trucks to overtake it from a stop light.

BTW, How much power am I loosing by having the California version?

Does the wired mod work on a 88? I thought this was a totally mechanical (non-electronic) transmission.

#14 ·
It's just a switch to override. Just because it's not electronic, and it isn't, doesn't mean there aren't some electrically-controlled parts.

Let me do some 126 board searching, tomorrow, and I'll find the post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.