#1 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1992 Mercedes 300E, 1990 BMW 325I, 2003 VW GTI 20th Anniversary
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Driver's side carpet/floor board wet....

Hello all. First off...great site!

I purchased a 1992 300E about two months ago and I have just recently had the time to mess around with it. It has been sitting in the garage. When I first got the car I noticed the carpet was wet on the drivers side, front. My first thought was coolant but, it was water. So I pulled the carpet/padding out, dried the area, and did not put it back in because I wanted to find out the source of the water. That was two months ago. I pulled the car out of the garage a couple of days ago and had it sitting on the driveway. It has rained very hard in Columbus for the past couple of days and when I opened the car today to install a new battery I was greeted by a floor board full of water! I did not drive the car at all....I have only driven it once and that was when i brought it home so, it didn't come in under the car. I was determined to find out the source of the leak so, I started pouring water down drains and they all worked fine no additional water in the car. So I poured water on the windshield, namely, the drivers side and I could see water entering on the left side of the floor board near the emergency brake area. I removed all the padding and what I found was shocking. There is a hole, a tad bit smaller than a pencil's eraser and that is where the water is coming in!!! It's a perfect hole, like it has been drilled.....not a rust made hole. Around the hole there is surface rust. Why would there be a hole there and why would water come out of it...anyone know? I am thinking that maybe the car was in an accident at one time and they did something wrong when fixing it???? I will post pictures tomorrow. Do you all think I can use a water proof silicone for the time being for a quick fix? I will have the car looked at by a body shop because I am going to want that rusty area fixed. I am thinking this has been going on for a few years because the floor board on the drivers side looks a little rusty in some areas and fine in others. It's all surface rust but, I will have it fixed also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:16 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2006
in the uk, almost every 124 i have seen, including my own, has rusting in the area you describe, i recon its a fault with the body construction. i welded/plated both sides of mine, then drilled a small hole in the box section and pored oil in there to stop any more rust!

it seems that the left hand side as you sit in the car is worse(your drivers side, our passenger side). i originally thought this was due to that side being curb side in uk, and more slush/ salt ect getting thrown up there.

The hole you've found sounds to me like a grommet hole with no grommet in it? i'm gona check mine this weekend to see if thats the problem, because when i'd finnished fixing my car , i lifted the carpet a couple of days later, and there was a small ammount of clean water that could only have been rainwater, as the car had not been started, or driven antwhere!

320ce AMG
widebody

twin turbo
"mutty" 'der nail'

soon to be a six speed nail

only do the mods others tell you to, otherwise you will be in trouble

all mods, even those that are almost identical, were not created equal, you risk turning your car into a ricer if you dont follow the crowd, you have been warned...
it is obviously correct that if your car aint shiny, your opinion doesnt count
#3 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you for your response. I am going to do a quick fix and then take it to a body shop when I get a chance to get a professional help. Maybe it was a grommet hole because the hole is too perfect to be made by rust. Thanks again for your response.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
One other case of water in foot-well can be caused by broken A/C drain pipe. Which runs parallel on both side of center console and exits near transmission. Most 124's have rust in this area of exit.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLord View Post
One other case of water in foot-well can be caused by broken A/C drain pipe. Which runs parallel on both side of center console and exits near transmission. Most 124's have rust in this area of exit.
Thank you for your response. I will check out that area too. I am on my way outside to see if my quick-fix works.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok....I checked on my quick fix and it worked great but, water was still getting into the car so I cut more sound-proofing away and found more rust spots and holes. They appear to be spot wheels that have gone bad. I don't know if this is a factory job or not. I will post pictures later. The car MUST go to a body shop...it seems to be ugly.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 08:02 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, I just came from working on the car and this is what I found. The rest of the problem to the wet floor. Water is coming from these rusted areas. I want to know....does this appear to be a factory spot weld job? It looks too sloppy to be factory. A couple of the pictures a blurred but, it's a tight squeeze in there and my camera's battery was on it's way out. I tried to post pictures directly to the page but, it didn't work. Please let me know what you think...thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1442201135

Last edited by Red October 92; 03-29-2009 at 03:07 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hello again. I hate to be a pest but, can someone with more experience with the W124, look at the link I provided ^ and tell me if that looks like a factory weld job. If it is not, I will have to contact the previous owner to find out what happened to the car while she had it. Thanks!
#9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes w124 coupe Italien, 2.0 M102 engine,
Its very clear , its not factory weld job at all ; recently i changed the whole rusty panel in my ce200 , for both driver and passenger side ; you will find a very big surprise in almost all w124s ( without major body work ) if you will disassemble the front fender , especialy if you have bad shock-absorbs , a complete vertical factory weld-line is broken and needs to be re-welded.
I am w124 driver since 1994 , i changed about 7 w124s and its common body-weakness point and i advice to check it in pro- workshop
#10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_ssq View Post
Its very clear , its not factory weld job at all ; recently i changed the whole rusty panel in my ce200 , for both driver and passenger side ; you will find a very big surprise in almost all w124s ( without major body work ) if you will disassemble the front fender , especialy if you have bad shock-absorbs , a complete vertical factory weld-line is broken and needs to be re-welded.
I am w124 driver since 1994 , i changed about 7 w124s and its common body-weakness point and i advice to check it in pro- workshop
Thanks for the reply. I kinda knew it wasn't but, just wanted to make sure. The car must have been in a wreck before....I will have to have it check out now for sure.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class