Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What is a 1995 MB E320 Special Edition?

17K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  1988 300ce 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy!

I've searched and have yet to see an E320 like ours confirmed or denied as a 'special edition' for 1995. However the car has been hit and the insurance company (of the person that hit us) isn't working with me on the pricing of the car. To properly understand what the car is I'm posting a pic and hoping someone can tell me if this was a true 'special edition' or just a replica/copy of one. BTW, it does have the custom door plating on the entry of each door. (aluminum?) And I have not been able to find those wheels for sale on any of the E320's I looked at on eBay or Auto Trader's websites.

Thanks.

Bill

See less See more
#4 ·
6 disc changer in trunk, cell phone, memory seats, grey interior, climate control, power mirrors, metallic or metal flake paint, (which the body shop said was not what was listed for 95 E320's).

Everyone thought it was one of the sharpest MB's in town (small town, granted). Sad to see her go but having a real hard time finding an equivalent.

Thank all of you for your help.

#5 ·
What's odd is mine is listed on by the ins. company as a Special Edition, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why. Standard wheels, no special anything, so far as I can tell.

#6 ·
My understanding, based on my earlier searches, was that CarFax lists all 95's as special editions. But the thread I was reading stated that the only true special editions had metal flake paint, 6 hole wheels, and the custom door sill work, all of which mine has, but like I said, there were no pictures showing what a true special edition looks like.

#7 · (Edited)
Okay, that's kinda what I thought, 1995 being the end of the 124 series and all. Thanks, Bill, for confirming I'm not the only one who thought this way.

I'm surprised those 6 hole wheels have the same offset as the regular ole ones I have. Maybe they don't. Regardless, I like 'em if for not other reason, they're unusual in a low-key way.

Say, is the sill on the door frame which got creamed still intact? I don't know where you are, but I can get creative with 'freeing-up' damaged body parts.

Too bad that one RR wheel got nailed pretty good.

What really kills me is your car looks to be pretty repairable, though I can't see how much door frame damage there is. I hope you came through it okay. Hits from the side are always unpleasant.

#9 ·
The car that hit us was doing roughly 25 - 35 mph. It pushed the bottom of the car in as well as the door post/pillar. My stepdaughter was sitting in the front passenger seat; she was injured - whiplash, bruised both arms, lower back muscle strain - but we both walked away. And she was $900 away from paying me off for the car. She is *so* sick because of it.

It's why I've been trying to find as close a replacement as possible. I put a new tranny in Jan. 08 ($3,000), just finished diagnosing misfire (bad coil), and got great gas mileage but still had good performance on the highway. She has just paid $300 (all of her Christmas money) to have the windows tinted. It was going to be the perfect car for her to drive for college.

I was hoping the wheel could be recovered. This is all going through a law firm because the insurance company of the driver that hit us is giving us a hard time. Their client was ticketed with failure to yield but they are fighting it! Makes me sick. Anyway, sorry to ramble on but as I said, this car was great and now it's sitting waiting to go to salvage or for us to part out if I can find a similar car.

#8 ·
At the end of the W210 (2002 1/2) run MB also offered a special edition that came with different wheels, a CD changer, and black birdseye maple wood trim at no charge. There might be more features/options but I know for sure those I mentioned were part of the SE package.

#10 ·
124 Special Edition

"The Special Edition models were introduced around April of 1995, so not all 1995 W124 models were Special Editions. The Special Edition package included special metallic paint, special 6 hole alloy wheels, integrated analog cell phone, trunk mounted six-disk CD player, high performance 10 speaker sound system, drivers seat memory, electrically adjustable steering column (no tilt), stainless steel door sills and burl walnut interior trim. On the E320 and E300 diesel the extra cost was $1,295 for the options that were worth about $4,300. The E420 package cost only $495 since it already had burl walnut trim, driver seat memory and the high performance 10 speaker sound system. Paint colors available were Moonstone Grey, Azure Blue, Sapphire Black (exclusive to the Special Edition) and a new color called Brilliant Emerald Green. I think these were the only colors used on the Special Editions.

The official Mercedes Benz of North America position was that the release of the 1995 E Class Special Edition was to celebrate the 10th year of production of the W124 series. I think it was more likely that back in 1995, Mercedes had a tough time moving the W124 E Class since the new W210 E Class was going to be released in the 1996 model year."

This came from another post at MBCA dot org some time ago when I was trying to find out what the complete SE package was. Bummer that her car was hit.

#12 ·
"The Special Edition models were introduced around April of 1995, so not all 1995 W124 models were Special Editions. The Special Edition package included special metallic paint, special 6 hole alloy wheels, integrated analog cell phone, trunk mounted six-disk CD player, high performance 10 speaker sound system, drivers seat memory, electrically adjustable steering column (no tilt), stainless steel door sills and burl walnut interior trim. On the E320 and E300 diesel the extra cost was $1,295 for the options that were worth about $4,300. The E420 package cost only $495 since it already had burl walnut trim, driver seat memory and the high performance 10 speaker sound system. Paint colors available were Moonstone Grey, Azure Blue, Sapphire Black (exclusive to the Special Edition) and a new color called Brilliant Emerald Green. I think these were the only colors used on the Special Editions.

The official Mercedes Benz of North America position was that the release of the 1995 E Class Special Edition was to celebrate the 10th year of production of the W124 series. I think it was more likely that back in 1995, Mercedes had a tough time moving the W124 E Class since the new W210 E Class was going to be released in the 1996 model year."

This came from another post at MBCA dot org some time ago when I was trying to find out what the complete SE package was. Bummer that her car was hit.
That's her car; a dark blue, which I think is that Azure Blue and the stereo is one of the best I've ever heard. It does have the electric telescoping steering.

Thanks for confirming.

#11 ·
The Special Editions were Mercedes' way of getting rid of the rest of the W124's before the release of the W210. The U.S. six cylinder Special Editions had nine standard "non-standard" items - telephone, CD player/changer, hi-performance sound system, 6 hole alloy wheels, adjustable steering column, memory driver's seat, burl walnut interior trim, metallic paint, and stainless steel door sills - but if it's like the Sportline models, the exact specs varied by country.
Just a big snazzy makeover to get rid of a couple remaining cars on dealer's lots.

EDIT:

Well, ds190 beat me to it I think.

#13 ·
I got the same car same color but it's a 420. Do you have black leather interior?

#17 ·
Good luck with it all, hopefully the damage is not too bad on the underside. If you want the same car you may need to search for a while. Good condition 80-90's Mercedes are getting harder to find. You need to buy it back from the insurance company right? It seems to nice to part out.

#18 ·
billb95,
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully everyone in the car was ok?
I have been a MB body repair tech for 24 years now and have never seen a fatal accident in these vehicles.
If you put your vin# up I will run it and tell you exactly what you have and coach you how to get paid!
FYI ........ Benz denotes their special edition cars as " Designo " .

RdKing.

#19 ·
VIN is wdbea32e4sc258373. From what I can tell when I ran the vin it is one of the last 95's made with the metallic paint, power telescoping steering, and enhanded stereo system, and 6 hole wheels.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.