BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 1999 S320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1987 260E Problems

I have a 1987 260E. Has about 229,450 on the clock. It has been a great car. It's now getting to the point where I want to fix the little things that are wrong with it to make it a great car. Although its not my every day car I want to get it back up to snuff. There are two major problems and a couple of small minor ones that are keeping this from being great. If any of you guys could tell me how to fix or what to look for with any of these problems I would sincerely appreciate it.

1. Hard Starting this car can be a real pain to start sometimes. Sometimes it will start right up and idle pretty good. Other times you have to keep cranking it over and over about 2 or 3 times with the pedal pressed half way down to get it to start up. After that it starts ok. The fuel pumps are new, the OVP relay was replaced about 5 years ago and its the one with the Red Cap. The fuel pumps and filter were replaced 2 years ago. The plugs, wires, cap, rotor and alternator were all replaced back in June (9 Months ago). Was starting rough then too.

2. The cruise control isn't working quite right. I tried replacing the amplifier and sometimes it will accelerate and not hold. Other times it will accelerate and hold but be jerking. I looked in the Mercedes service manual and it said it might be the Hall Sensor behind the Speedometer others have said try another amplifier. Im starting to get confused. LOL

3. The SRS light is stuck on. How do I go about finding out the problem.

I know its a 22 year old car and im not surprised that there are problems with it. Its just I want to get a well running car and get that longevity the 124 is known for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 03:06 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1988 260E
with the SRS, you will need a diagnostic check to find the fault.
usually means there is a low voltage problem with the airbag or seat belt sensors.

1988 Mercedes Benz 260E
#3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:08 PM
GHM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: "Gretchen" my 1986 300E 286000 km+
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California260E View Post
I have a 1987 260E. Has about 229,450 on the clock. It has been a great car. It's now getting to the point where I want to fix the little things that are wrong with it to make it a great car. Although its not my every day car I want to get it back up to snuff. There are two major problems and a couple of small minor ones that are keeping this from being great. If any of you guys could tell me how to fix or what to look for with any of these problems I would sincerely appreciate it.

1. Hard Starting this car can be a real pain to start sometimes. Sometimes it will start right up and idle pretty good. Other times you have to keep cranking it over and over about 2 or 3 times with the pedal pressed half way down to get it to start up. After that it starts ok. The fuel pumps are new, the OVP relay was replaced about 5 years ago and its the one with the Red Cap. The fuel pumps and filter were replaced 2 years ago. The plugs, wires, cap, rotor and alternator were all replaced back in June (9 Months ago). Was starting rough then too.

2. The cruise control isn't working quite right. I tried replacing the amplifier and sometimes it will accelerate and not hold. Other times it will accelerate and hold but be jerking. I looked in the Mercedes service manual and it said it might be the Hall Sensor behind the Speedometer others have said try another amplifier. Im starting to get confused. LOL

3. The SRS light is stuck on. How do I go about finding out the problem.

I know its a 22 year old car and im not surprised that there are problems with it. Its just I want to get a well running car and get that longevity the 124 is known for.
Well lets start here, you are not in denial that the vehicle is 22 years young. When I first bought my auto back in 2005, similar problems as you have. I would start with the cold start valve and then progress up to the fuel injectors, to see if they are both operating to there full potential. My auto has been a project car for the last 4 years and slowly but surely its running fine. Then or before you may want to look in the DIY for info on fuel distributor adjustment. Good luck

Remember the way things used to be, we can never get that time back,so make the best of the time you have now, Life is short!, Break a few rules! Forgive quickly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably ... Good times become good memories bad times become good lessons.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1987 Mercedes-Benz 260E
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ha, we have the SAME car, lol. Ive never seen another 87' 260E... well... I never see 260E's but yeh, I hav the same starting prblm to, it alweighs starts, it just takes it longer sometimes.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
Your hard starting problem might be related to the ignition coil, type of plugs (non-resistor is recommended), cold start valve, coolant temperature sensor, or idle control valve, could also be loss of signal from crankshaft position sensor... does it sometimes die on the road?

Your cruise control problem is likely related to a burned out cruise actuator if it is "hunting" for the setting. Get ahold of the owner of GDL.

General Development Laboratories - Table of Contents

This is the best outfit to go to for fixing your cruise... if you describe your problems thoroughly to him you will get a very accurate assessment. From my experience... hunting is synonomous with burned out traces on the actuator. With your mileage this is totally feasible.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ath20wj View Post
ha, we have the SAME car, lol. Ive never seen another 87' 260E... well... I never see 260E's but yeh, I hav the same starting prblm to, it alweighs starts, it just takes it longer sometimes.
I was looking at picking up one of these used....what should I look for as far as "Red Flags" go?

Thanks for any input you guys can give.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1988 300TE, 2002 CLK320
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Exactly the same issues as the 300E. The 2.6 is no different.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 08:49 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
Exactly the same issues as the 300E. The 2.6 is no different.
I'm new to Mercedes cars so what problems would that be?
#9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 1995 E320 sedan/ black with black interor
did you ever change your wireing harness, it could be that your harnessis simply shorting out. dose it start better when it is warm. because if so the fuel ratio when cold starting might be off. the car is suposto have a richer ratio when cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.