Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Door lock cylinder swap?

9K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Real1shepherd 
#1 ·
Door lock on drivers side is getting difficult to turn. This morning the key was stuck and took a couple of minutes to remove. Now I am locking the car from the passenger side.
My question: Can I swap the passenger lock with the drivers side to avoid the cost of a new one?

#6 ·
Remove it and clean it up .I had to file my tumblers to fit .Put the key in the lock ,then undo the grub screw that holds the door handle part that holds the barrel .Open the door you will see a rubber grommit, the screw holding the part in is at the back of it dont remove the screw right out only a few turns .Then turn the key to the rear of the car at the same time move it about it will come out of the handle.I have this information but i can not post attachments on here ,,why i dint know. Do a google search on it .Thats how i came by it ..

#8 ·
Don't use graphite. Despite popular beliefs WD40 is an excellent lock lube that even a lot of locksmiths use.
My first w124 had a drivers lock cylinder that was starting to jam. I flushed it with WD40 and worked the lock with the key for a few minutes, pulling the key out and wiping it off every so often until it came out clean. The lock worked like new after that.

The problem with graphite is that it builds up and can form a mass that will actually jam a lock after time.

#9 ·
They can be switched. Did it on my 95 E320 TE. Carefully remove the alarm electrical switches, leave them on their original sides (if you change sides with the switches installed, Alarm gets funky. mechanically you are unlocking, electrically you are locking)

#10 ·
Problem is the tumblers inside wear .You have to file them down so they all fit inside the holder if one is sticking up it stops the barrel tuning .Hard to tell you about it untill you have the part out in your hand ,.Dont start this job if you dont know the way to repair the tumblers .Get information first ,a google search should take you to the right place ..Thats what i did and it works fine for the last 3 years .WD40 is not a lubricant. So if you use it to clean out the barrel it will need a drop of thin oil after .

Attachments

#12 ·
They're not tumblers, they're wafers.....It's technically a 'high security' lock and I wouldn't advise letting a novice "file" anything without an excellent pictorial on how to do it. Better to have a good locksmith familiar in these locks replace the worn wafers and the lock is like new. Or...order new cylinders w/key from the dealer.

Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.