How to remove the CPS? - Mercedes-Benz Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
QuangsBenz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 89 300E
Location: Central CA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to remove the CPS?

I'm getting a new CPS today, and if it doesn't rain I will be replacing it. I notice that the oil filter is in the way and I might have to remove the filter before I can get access to the CPS, but I'm not sure. Does it require the oil filter to be removed first? If you have any hints & tips on replacing the CPS please let me know.

Thanks,
Quang
QuangsBenz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
tuttebenne's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuangsBenz View Post
I'm getting a new CPS today, and if it doesn't rain I will be replacing it. I notice that the oil filter is in the way and I might have to remove the filter before I can get access to the CPS, but I'm not sure. Does it require the oil filter to be removed first? If you have any hints & tips on replacing the CPS please let me know.

Thanks,
Quang
I think I took mine off when changing the CPS but not sure if you HAVE to. It just seemed easier with it out of the way.

'88 300E (330k and soon to be put down)
'89 300E
'90 300CE (the new puppy)
'91 300TE 4matic
'93 400E
'93 500E
'77 308GTB
tuttebenne is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
QuangsBenz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 89 300E
Location: Central CA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
I think I took mine off when changing the CPS but not sure if you HAVE to. It just seemed easier with it out of the way.
Why did you change yours? Just curious. Was it because of a hard start or sudden stall problem?
QuangsBenz is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
tuttebenne's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuangsBenz View Post
Why did you change yours? Just curious. Was it because of a hard start or sudden stall problem?
No, mine was dead. It turned out that the problem was a bad coil.

'88 300E (330k and soon to be put down)
'89 300E
'90 300CE (the new puppy)
'91 300TE 4matic
'93 400E
'93 500E
'77 308GTB
tuttebenne is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:01 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
QuangsBenz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 89 300E
Location: Central CA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
No, mine was dead. It turned out that the problem was a bad coil.
I just picked up my CPS, but have to wait until tomorrow to install it. I hope this is the last item I have to change to make it run again, and hope my coil is okay.

How did you find that your coil was bad?
QuangsBenz is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 08:18 AM
BenzWorld Elite
 
tuttebenne's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,548
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuangsBenz View Post
I just picked up my CPS, but have to wait until tomorrow to install it. I hope this is the last item I have to change to make it run again, and hope my coil is okay.

How did you find that your coil was bad?
I don't think my method will help you because I have a few 124s and I just swapped coils with my wife's car and found that it was dead. Don't ask me why I didn't do that before replacing the CPS (!)

'88 300E (330k and soon to be put down)
'89 300E
'90 300CE (the new puppy)
'91 300TE 4matic
'93 400E
'93 500E
'77 308GTB
tuttebenne is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 07:49 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
QuangsBenz's Avatar
 
Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 89 300E
Location: Central CA
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttebenne View Post
I don't think my method will help you because I have a few 124s and I just swapped coils with my wife's car and found that it was dead. Don't ask me why I didn't do that before replacing the CPS (!)

I attempted to remove my old CPS today without luck. I have the correct bit connected to a u-joint with a 12-inch 1/4" extension bar. The hex screw didn't want to turn. I was afraid that I'd strip the screw's hole. I sprayed some super lubricant hope it'll come out tomorrow.

There's not too much room in there. How did you manage to take yours out? What tools did you use?

Last edited by QuangsBenz; 02-24-2009 at 09:01 PM.
QuangsBenz is offline  
Reply

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Topic Author Forum Replies Last Post
CPS dlbehrns W208 CLK Class 0 01-01-2009 06:35 PM
CPS mishael W202 C-Class 1 10-02-2008 10:43 PM
CPS failure symtoms but it's not the CPS problem joeml W163 M-Class 3 06-05-2008 10:05 AM
CPS ADCastro W210 E-Class 4 05-12-2008 12:21 PM
Need a CPS? ganndallff R170 SLK Class 2 12-10-2007 01:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome