300e 2.6 - hard to start, low/rough idle, acceleration issues - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
300e 2.6 - hard to start, low/rough idle, acceleration issues

Hey, I have a 1991 300e 2.6 and in the past few weeks I have started having a bunch of problems all at once. The first of these is that the car is very hard to get started. It requires nearly about a minute or two of cranking to actually start it and then it idles very low(under 500rpm) after it starts. I then have to let it idle for a minute or two because if I give it any gas it just dies. Also, the ASR and ABS lights are usually on when I have this starting problem. The engine has also just shut down on me after a quick stop and after lightly braking before a turn.

The other problem is with acceleration. If I accelerate too quickly, which doesn't even have to be very quickly at all, the car will jerk/shudder and it will keep doing this until I take my foot off the gas and slowly ease back onto it. It will also happen after I have gotten up to speed on the highway, and will persist until I slow down a bit. This problem seems to be an on and off problem. Some days it happens, and then it might last for a few days before it will go away for another few days.

Anyways, thats about it for now, any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 06:50 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2001 S500 (Sold) - 1992 300E 4Matic
Check the fuse/fuses on the overload protection relay located behind the battery silver box with a clear plastic cover there should be 2 fuses if its the updated relay if you have the old relay it might have 1 fuse if it has one fuse get a updated relay they always go bad. If thats not the problem message me back I'll try to direct you to the next thing to check.
Good Luck, Anton
myoungdeer likes this.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 08:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: Depends on the week
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Sounds like fuel pump/filter may be clogged and not giving you enough fuel.

☆ ★ A R T I S A N ☆ ★ ☆ ★ A R T I S A N ☆ ★
Strictly Pleasure
Join the W124 Buy/Sell/Trade/Chat Group on Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/groups/224626884381433/
http://artisanexcite.blogspot.com/
#4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 04:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1995 E320
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
any problems with the engine running should always begin with a tuneup; new plugs, cap and rotor, wires, air and fuel filters.

'O=00=O' BMW 2002. long live the legend.

#5 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 06:36 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
yeah, not to be rude, but I'm not retarded mr neanderthal, all that stuff has been checked and is good to go. And as for the OVP relay, I had problems with it before, and this issue (or issues) is much different than what happened before. It was the first thing I checked because it shared the sympton of turning the ABS and ASR lights on, which had happened before. Any other suggestions?

ps. I'm thinking I may have to try a new fuel pump, I'm just trying to avoid that if possible because it seems like a lot of work. So if anyone can think of anything quick and easy to change before I attack the fuel pump, that'd be great.

Last edited by kmcnutt77; 12-25-2008 at 06:41 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:48 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
I would say, based upon the fact that you have already checked/replaced all these other possible causes, that the only thing I could see might be the coolant temp sensor. It is the most important sensor in the engine...very large....otherwise the computer doesn't know what is going on and can't do its' thing. If you have, in fact, done all these other things and not the coolant sensor I'd try that...easy to replace and only around $35....good luck
#7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1987 560SEC, 1991 300TE
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Check for vacuum leaks, the other day I was changing my valve cover gasket and the little hose between the valve cover and inlet manifold was quite brittle and snapped when I removed the valve cover. I tried to use a bit of hose that didn't fit properly for a temporary fix until I got the new one but like the symptoms you explained the car took terribly long time to start (acutally had to press accelerator a bit to get it going) then once it was the idle was very rough and very low. Touching the accelerator while running had to be very minimal, too suddenly and the car died! So I left the car and next day took other car and got the new hose and the car ran a real treat like it should.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 08:53 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzQC View Post
Check for vacuum leaks, the other day I was changing my valve cover gasket and the little hose between the valve cover and inlet manifold was quite brittle and snapped when I removed the valve cover. I tried to use a bit of hose that didn't fit properly for a temporary fix until I got the new one but like the symptoms you explained the car took terribly long time to start (acutally had to press accelerator a bit to get it going) then once it was the idle was very rough and very low. Touching the accelerator while running had to be very minimal, too suddenly and the car died! So I left the car and next day took other car and got the new hose and the car ran a real treat like it should.
So which hose/hoses are you talking about? I just need a little more detail as to which ones I need to go after. The details/problems you mentioned were EXACTLY the same as my problems.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2008, 11:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 92 300CE & 93 SEL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to oefvetw124lover Send a message via Yahoo to oefvetw124lover
keep me posted on this problem, i am curious about the solution.

Carl

Veteran
Albany, NY, USA

92 300ce and others
"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf."
#10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1987 560SEC, 1991 300TE
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcnutt77 View Post
So which hose/hoses are you talking about? I just need a little more detail as to which ones I need to go after. The details/problems you mentioned were EXACTLY the same as my problems.
The particular hose that I broke goes from the valve cover (aka rocker cover, cam cover, cylnder head cover) to the intake manifold. Part number is 103 094 00 82. I am not sure if this hose is your problem as there is many hoses throughout the engine bay that have manifold vacuum pressure in them to control various functions. In the photos below I have circled where the hose is on the engine and also a photo of the hose itself. I don't know if your engine is the same as this or not depending on the market. Anyhow on your car check ALL the vacuum connections/hoses etc for any leaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	28122008052s.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	212476   Click image for larger version

Name:	28122008053.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	212477  

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W124 E,CE,D,TD Class