Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

help, my 87 300td won't start after I changed fuel filter

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  macdrone 
#1 ·
So I thought I could just change my own secondary fuel filter on my 1987
300td, but now I am regretting that decision (I don't know that much about
mechanics) I know that you have to bleed the air out of the system after you change the filter, and I filled it most of the way with the fuel that was in the old filter. The car started up fine at first, but after a few seconds shut off. I tried starting again, it cranked but didn't start. It did that maybe once or twice (each time, as I turned the key all the way to the right, I held the accelerator to the floor.) Now, it won't crank up at all, and each time I turn the key, the doors sound like they are locking or unlocking (although I don't think that they actually are), but there is a funny noise coming from something that says "vacuum", under the hood on the right side in front of the fuse box. Any advice or suggestions?

#2 ·
Well there is a fuel rail on top of the motor, it has a cap. The way I bled mine after changing filter was having someone turn the car on (not turn over) and off several seconds over and over. This builds pressure in the lines. The cap uncovers what looks like a tire fill stem. With them on the ignition i "released" air until only fuel came out then bam good to start. Vaporlock suck for sure.

Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.