Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

400E Transmission Interchangeability

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jhodg5ck 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 400E. The tranny slips in reverse when it heats up. From looking at other posts on this forum, the 400E tranny seems to be a week point.

Anyway, will transmissions from any other models work in the 400E? I phoned the dealer, but they were clueless as usual.

Nik

#3 ·
any tranny attached to a M119 series engine should work but will have minor differences that only MB can tell the difference. Try replacing the fluid and drain the torque converter (which that allen head is tough to get to) and then refill and try. Old fluid can cause these syptoms. New filter also. You may need a new piston for it but actually other than that havent heard of one of these dying yet.

Good luck.

#4 ·
the 300E transmission should be almost the same, except the v8s have more clutches to handle the power. the torque converter and bellhousing are likely to be different. as long as they are both 722.XX transmissions.

stick with the v8 version if you can. its built for it and i dont pretend to know more than the mercedes' engineers.

#5 ·
Al 400E transmissions will essentially be the same and will work.. The later the box the better chance you have of getting all the latest TSB's installed.

IME the reverse clutches are a VERY weak point in these transmissions. I've torn down boxes w/ about 60K only to find the reverse clutches are near done.

One more reason we make our own HP/CF clutches!!

Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.