Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

spring compressor showdown

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Wianka@000 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I'd really appreciate as many opinions as possible about decent spring compressors suitable for the W124. This topic has come up a bit recently, but I thought I'd start a thread about these tools specifically.
I personally don't trust those beefy threaded-rod-style MacPherson strut/spring compressors, like the Craftsman one that Sears sells. And there seem to be a lot of other shady looking spring compressors on eBay, etc.
What I hear are reputable are brands like Klann and SirTools, but they're so expensive!
Just a little poking around online brought me to places like koniktool.com which sells a compressor that looks like a knock-off of the Klann design, and then there's technictool.com which I further don't want to trust if for any reason because my browser seems to hang whenever I try to browse through their website.
I'm thinking about buying one because it's something that I will use more than once, and is more convenient than renting. I'm just wondering if it's worth the investment. Also, will I be able to use one of these spring compressors on other cars like my Saab c900 (on which I have used one of those Craftsman compressors successfully)?
If you own or just have experience using any of these tools I'd like to hear about it. Please let us know what the brand is, and where it was purchased.

See less See more
#6 ·
That compressor is most likely made by JTC tools. I bought one for my W210 (Mc Pherson strut type) and I felt very safe using it. It seems very sturdy but it is not exactly the same quality as the Klann. If you're going to use it a few times, then it should be more than adequate. For a shop, I would buy the Klann.

#10 ·
That compressor is most likely made by JTC tools.
nice! same as my initials - maybe they'd give me a discount ;)

fwiw, koniktool and kingtony seems to be the same company.

#13 ·
wow. looks like a nice tool. sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you with that trans and all. thanks for the heads-up.

#15 ·
The spring compressor arrived yesterday and it looks, well, great. Very well engineered and constructed IMO. Of course the true test will be later this week when I start exercising it.
I have no doubt that the genuine Klann compressor is superior but for my limited use it will serve beautfully. Here's a pic:
http://www.bos-engel.com/benz/notklann.jpg
The whole setup looks very much like the Ampro line of suspension tools sold by Advance Auto Parts. Stuff that my bud has been using in his shop for years and yers without trouble. Here's hoping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.