Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Trying to buy wood steering wheel/ASR question

935 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  2phast 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I have two questions.

First one is pertaining to wood steering wheels.

I am in search of an OEM wood steering wheel for my E320 Coupe. I know that the W140 steering wheels fit and the W210 E-Class before the facelift fit. But do the W220 Steering wheels fit? What other possibilities are there? I Just want to change the steering wheel itself but keep the center airbag piece to avoid complication.

In addition, does anyone know where I can get one for cheap? I know I can probably get one at the dealer but at a high price. I've found one on eBay that seems to fit my criteria the best but it's not an OEM wood job. Other than that, I can't find any on eBay.

Here's the one I found on eBay:
eBay Motors: MERCEDES W140 S500,600 BURLWOOD, BLACK STEERING WHEEL (item 330121568656 end time May-25-07 11:02:55 PDT)

Also what kind of wood do I have? I think I have burl walnut but here's a picture just in case.

And to the ASR question. If I wanted to do some back end out fun and get my rear tires going, would it be ok if I just removed the ASR+ABS relay and then replace it when I'm done? Would that do any malicious things to my car or would I have to reset any codes or anything?

Would appreciate your help. Thanks guys.

See less See more
#3 ·
wood and leather steering wheel

After looking at your stunning car with burlwood interior, I can tell you where to buy a gorgeous burlwood and leather steering wheel at the lowest price. If you have not found him on Ebay, Alan Gun has a factory near me in Florida where he makes steering wheels for MB dealers. If you need a donor wheel, you can buy one cheaply from Davey Johnson at European Automotive Group (800-761-3876) in Moultrie, Ga. He is very fair and helpful. (you can mention my name, Peter from Boynton Beach) He will charge cost (what a dealer pays him) I am in the process of having a wheel done that matches my car interior. PKmaven

#4 ·
chinny4290 said:
And to the ASR question. If I wanted to do some back end out fun and get my rear tires going, would it be ok if I just removed the ASR+ABS relay and then replace it when I'm done? Would that do any malicious things to my car or would I have to reset any codes or anything?
Give it a try - see what happpens. You might go into the limp home and you're likely to trigger some fault codes but they can be erased easy enough.

#6 ·
Steering wheels from 92-97 are all interchangeable between all model MB. Assuming of course, you match the airbag design, the sportline and slk/clk wheels use different airbags. For your E320, you could use any non sportline/clk/slk wheel made for MB from 92-97. If you want to use a 98-99 wheel, you need the airbag from a 98-99 as well, the airbag/wheel design changed starting in 1998.

As for ASR defeat, look here for some ideas under performance

Rik Johnsons W124.036

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.